KS, I'm wid chew.

We have 57 Scouts and I can't see the new SM sitting down with each individually. In any case, I haven't heard of a parent or adult making a fuss about a medical form. In fact, I think that some parents take a perverse pride in how "unusual" their child is. "Your son is ADHD? Mine is ADHD, OCD and ODD with severe allergies to potatoes."

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

" And you mean to tell us that a boy scout doesn't know if he is lactose intolerant?"

No Bob, youdidn't know because the parents never told you & you never reviewed the medical form! THe kid drank whatever you gave him without looking because he was in pain & thirsty. He trusted you.

Ed, you are nothing if not entertaining. We should have you spin tall tales at our campfires. You can't possibly believe that could happen. Maybe by some stretch of the imagination the parents didn't tell you, but don't you suppose they told the scout? And who in the world in the middle of an emergency, when someone says they are thirsty, runs and gets milk?

That realy is a hoot Ed.

ROFLOL

Bob White

Bob,

I'm glad I entertain you. You don't entertain me. There are times you actually scare me. You read only what you want then apply your interpretation of BSA policy & claim it's gospel! I'm very happy my son was never in a unit you were a leader in.

Ed Mori

Scoutmaster

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

Well Bob White, if you're out on the trail it isn't beyond the realm of possibility that someone has a few boxes of Parmalat. If you're back in camp, someone could hand him a carton of milk and the kid drinks it without thinking because mom always gives him soy milk.

Look, let's make this real clear to everyone.

I never said this is what you have to do. I even said that the BSA had no policy on it other than on the handling of the medication itself. I said this is what I do, what I recommend, and how I was trained by a person exceedingly well experienced as a physian and a scouter.

My experience working with fairly large troops over many years with only three accidents that were totally unrelated to the scouts medical history proves my point.

The care for the scout comes from the proper use of scouting methods and good leadership practices. Not from reading confidential medical information.

My first response was to answer OWLS questions, and my other responses were in explanation of the method I used and in defense of a few totally unwarranted personal attacks.

Take the suggestion or not, use it or not. It makes no difference to me, it is not my privacy that you endanger. Reading personal medical information or storing it in open view is not what keeps the scouts safe, how you lead is what keeps them safe.

If having to talk with parents and storing personal information scares you, then perhaps the handling of medical forms is not your biggest problem.

Bob White

I really do not understand why you behave like that FOG. You get thrown off for foul language and dual posting, you are able to return only by lying about your identity, you take numerous personal shots at people especially if they like the scouting program, uniform or handbook, you offer little or no actual input on topics other than to try to create controversy and then you call me names just because you disagree with me. I really don't get it.

Medical History:

Den leaders, Scoutmasters, team coaches, and crew Advisors should review these and become knowledgeable about the medical needs of the youth members in their unit.

What this says to me is as a leader I need to read & understand the medical history of each Scout. That can be achieved by reading the medical form. Is this confidential? Yes! Do I tell everyone I know that Tommy Tenderfoot has a wart problem? No!

Ed Mori

Scoutmaster

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10