Between the Training Times Newsletter and an email I got from our regional Training person, sounds like some good training changes coming up. I am excited about the new training tools, but don't know what to make about what the Training Times say, and what I see.. "Unit Training Detail" is suppose to be of Unit leaders about their Unit.. "Unit Training Tracking" is suppose to be for District/Council Trainers to see info on their District. I only see the Tool "Unit Training Tracking".. I can look up any unit in the district (which might be good for a Unit Commissioner).. But a District Trainer, or District Exec, would want this report to list everyone in the district, without having to pull up each unit seprately.. So, a little work is needed there, but much better then looking up the Training person by person.

Anyone have more info about the changes coming to Training? Sounds like with CubScout specifics, it might be changing what I dislike about it.. Death to the PowerPoint presentations, and less cutsy things like "let's sing a song" or "let's play a game".. More discussion of what they really need.. Sounds like there may still be breakouts?? Yuck, for the number of Trainers needed, yeah for no PowerPoint, so I don't need 5 projectors.. But, I don't understand breaking it out, since the new training will be once trained, your trained (at least for Den leaders), no different training for Tigers, Den, Webs.. So if one training means trained, why break out into different training groups???

Still waiting for the changes to outdoor leaders Training, that has been promised for years, and they keep moving the date further & further out.

Here is some excerpts from our Regional Training guy..

....The national team is moving away from the web based and the power point process we have been using for the past decade. Our Cub leaders only need to know two basic things: how to conduct meetings and what resources are available. Yet, our Cub Scout leader training now involves 250 power point slides? Death by power point! The team understands that new leaders do not need all the information that we have been throwing at them (think of a fire hose streaming water at a person) so the training will be modified to get that information to the new leader which he or she needs immediately- with the opportunity to attend additional courses later. All studies indicate that web learning can be useful for certain things but it does not measure up to live personal training. Our job is to train leaders; it is not to just run training courses. We are challenged to think outside the box as we train: perhaps we will need to go to the Scouter or unit rather than have the Scouter come to us. Perhaps we will offer mini camporees for training specific skills......

.....There will be a new emphasis on teambased learning - a process which involves group learning rather than simply the lecture method. One of the many advantages of the team process is that the group can be permanent allowing members to share and learn from each other throughout a Scouting career. Think patrol method and permanent patrol! Additionally, the new protocol will involve “Centers of Excellence†where formal training can occur by observing and participating in successful programs. The training courses are all being revised and I have included a copy of the timetable at the end of this email.......