Solve it with Insurance and the Free Market

all of your proposals exclude the poor.

In my state pit bulls are classified a vicious Dog and are required to be liability insured. While there are many responsible owners, there are many more who are not and do not follow the laws regarding fence height, insurance the letting their animals roam.

It is fairly common for these pitbulls to kill other animals and attack people, but in da hood they just pay the victim off or intimidate them into not reporting it.

It would require the gun owners to be responsible and accurately report the number and type of fire arms they own. I doubt a cheap skate like 732 or the old Brewman would not do that.....They would take the personal risk that their guns would never be stolen or involved in an accident.

Also, just nitpicking, but this is hardly a free market solution if the government requires the insurance. That's still government regulation.

Nah, it's a form of tax. :) Except it encourages yeh to pay your tax to a private provider.

Regulation is when da government tells yeh how to store your gun or what type ammo to use. Stuff that sometimes da government gets a little silly about.

This is simply a proposal that you pay the real cost to society of owning different types of firearms, spread among all firearm owners of that type.

Why should other folks have to pay so that we can pursue our hobby?

To be honest, it's a solution that may be attractive for other things, eh? Yeh want to smoke? Show that yeh have insurance that covers da real cost of smoking instead of havin' da rest of us subsidize your habit. If that means your health insurance is triple, it's triple (friends in da industry tell me it should be 4x). Want to ride your motorcycle helmetless? No problem, same deal.

Beavah