I gave this minute after Katrina but before Rita. Living here in Texas, I hope that it got a few scouts to think about getting prepared.

----

When I was a scout, we lived in Los Angeles. We never had hurricanes, but we had earthquakes. I remember there was this disaster movie - "Earthquake". The special effects were pretty cheesy by today's standards, but at the time it was a scary movie, especially for those of us who had actually lived through a couple of earthquakes. Of course today, disaster movies have much better special effects. There was this one about a volcano, and one about a comet that hits the earth, and one about the start of a new ice age. People seem to like disaster movies.

I'm not sure why we like disaster movies so much, 'cause we sure don't like disasters! Watching the terrible news about the recent hurricane in Louisiana got me to thinking about the Scout Motto. I started thinking about what I would do if there was a disaster here, in our town. Do I have the stuff I'd need? Does my family have an evacuation plan? Am I prepared?

Are you prepared?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Trevorum,

You are right on target. My wife and I have been discussing this topic since the hurricanes have brought their devastation to the Gulf Coast. Being a resident of California, the earthquake issue always lingers in the back of your mind. But Mother Nature has a way of challenging us regardless of the state we live in, especially those that live in the state of confusion. My wife and I are probably more prepared than the average person, but in reviewing our emergency plans we found a few areas that could be improved.

In doing some web surfing to acquire a few new items for our emergency kit, I found an interesting item. An electronic emergency flare: EzyFlare Electronic Safety Flare it caught my interest and I have ordered one for my wife's car. I'll let you know more about the items once I get my order shipped to me. I like the idea of not having an open flame. Let's see open flames near dry California roadsides, now that could be an incendiary situation. A no flame flare sounds good to me. But I doubt it will be an item included in my next backpacking trip!

Yours Truly in Scouting,

Rick Pushies

Great point and timing!

I did a Minute from the other side of the Motto once-

"As we work to Be Prepared, I notice that most of our focus is on being prepared for bad things- fire safety, first aid, emergency preparedness, and so on.

I just want to remind you to Be Prepared for good things as well!

Be Prepared for unforeseen recognition at school.

Be Prepared for a great opportunity when it happens.

Be Prepared to take advantage of a chance to do something wonderful for someone else.

Be Prepared for new friendships.

be Prepared, in general, for all kinds of surprises!" (At this point, I gestured to an ice cream sundae bar that was set up behind the scenes. It was great!)

Baden Powell was asked one time about what we should be prepared for and his response was, "Oh, just any ol thing". So, he quite cleverly left us his initials on the Scout Badge in the words, Be Prepared. Whenever we see his initials and think about what we are supposed to be Prepared for we are to raise our mouths in a smile, like the scroll that it is written upon.

FB

Hello.

I am so glad that you brought up the Be Prepared theme. I was wondering what to do for our next den meeting & field trip. I think that the emergency situations, 911 calls, fire department & police department trips have been done often enough (between scouts & schools) by the Bear year. So, I've been loking for something different.

We live in Oklahoma. The hurricane victims have reached us too. We don't have to worry about direct hurricanes but we still get the aftermath with the storms. And, with the storms often comes toronado's. I have an emergency kit that I keep stocked just in case. I think that I'll address "Be Prepared" for toronado's next week. Also, I'll set up a field trip to "Toronado Alley" a toronado shelter/edcational company.

Thank You very much.