My son's troop has 72 registered scouts, top heavy in 6th and 7th grade. The scoutmaster has already been contacted by four packs about joining the troop at crossover next spring, and he expects to hear from another two packs. There are over 50 webelos shared between these packs!

Question #1: should we limit the number of webelos we accept? and if yes, how should we do it?

Question #2: who actually should make this decision? The PLC? The committee? The registered adult leadership? I took troop committee training, but can't find any guidance on this.

My best guess at how to do this would be to base your number of incoming Webelos on the number of New Scout Patrols your troop is able to provide high-quality ASMs and Troop Guides for. So if you have enough personnel to handle 3 New Scout Patrols, then you can take in about 30 new Webelos (assuming 10 per patrol, allowing for some attrition you may end up with 8 or so per patrol. PLC can help identify who you have for troop guides.

Peace out,

Anne in Mpls

What a GREAT problem to have! You'll get better advice from others here on how to handle it, but please make sure none of the WEBELOS get left out of a troop. Don't let them fall into the abyss between Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts where many wind up. Make sure the WEBELOS are aware of other local troops and maybe even talk to the other scoutmasters about their plans for taking on new scouts.

I believe 72 is already on the big side for a troop. 120 seems awful large. You could entertain the idea of splitting the troop into 2 units, each a separate troop.

On #1, I wouldn't limit the numbers. I would have a mandatory volunteer sign-up form for parents of new scouts where they each would sign on for duties so the smaller existing SM/ASM group is not overloaded. It would mean some good forward-looking planning to prepare for how the troop dynamics will change and the extra "opportunities for leadership" your 7th graders will have. They can mentor the new patrols and will do a great job if they understand their valuable role in growing the troop.

Paul

Where's Dave this morning? This is the kind of problem a DE should find on his desk every Monday. CRG8, Anne is dead on. This is a question for your Committee and possibly PL Council.

Congratulations!

It sounds as if you have the respect & admiration of many of the packs in your area. Now the tough part... would you be willing to help other troops grow? I'd never really turn away a boy ( or even an interested adult) but what is your honest appraisal of your neighboring units? Would they (1) be able to provide a quality program to a larger number of boys? (2) benefit from developing a relationshop w/ feeder packs?

Those are two important considerations beyond how your unit will respond. You might choose to share wealth & grow the program at the troop / district level.

Again, Well Done. Keep on Scouting!

Bob

Your best bet is to call your council office and get your DE involved.

Understand, though, that the official position may tend towards the troop taking all who want Scouting. That's not a bad POV, but it is undermined by the realities of available and participating adults. It also doesn't attend to the additional, and substantial cost of equipment to support a larger troop and program needs. And, it also does not attend to the possible limitations of space avaiable where the troop meets.

That being said, your DE is in the best position to help you deal with these, and other issues, and even to start any discussions that might have to be had regarding directing some of the Webelo families to other local troops, or even starting a new troop if the numbers of Scouts and adults justify taking that path. Present adults in the troop should be ready, willing, and able to discuss the issue with the DE and each other from practical and not emotional POV's. Emotions run toward that 'take 'em all' path. Practicalities may run a different direction. Best to be honest with yourselves as volunteers, with the DE, and with those seeking admittance.

This is not a decision for the PLC. Adults leaders may want to invite the PLC opinion as a large inflow of new scouts will have an impact there, too. But ultimately it is an adult decision to make.

Boy, this is a difficult situation.

Do you have enough experienced and willing youth to provide leadership? I think that with all of the kids being close in age, you might have trouble finding leaders. It's been my observation that with patrols of 6th and 7th graders, that the PL doesn't lead and an ASM becomes more of a Den Leader.

If you have the youth leaders and enough adults, heck this could be great. Your troop could be doing something nearly every weekend, if only 25% on each outing, you'd still have a big group.

Hi CubsRgr8

I don't have a lot of time right now, but I wrote something on this subject a few years ago that another SM put on his Web Site.

http://iss.westhost.com/scouts/troop_size.html

See if it helps at all. I know this is a forum design for discussion, I apologize to the list for not giving highlights in this post. I will do better in the future.

Scouting Cheers

Barry

Well, well, well. To answer the question on the table -- Dave was at the Scout Office this morning.

Actually, Cubsrgr8 -- I don't think you should accept any of those webelos at all. Send them on down to Racine County and I'll take care of them ;)

Seriously, I would advise the parents of the graduating Webelos to have their sons look at as many troops as are viable in terms of distance, etc. Some would love to be part of a huge troop, but others may do well in smaller troops where they can get more personal attention and leadership positions, etc.

And if some of 'em want to come on down to the Belle City, we'd be glad to have them.

DS

Thanks for all of your posts. While I am on the troop committee, my primary scouting role is in my other son's pack, so I truly value your collective advice.

Anne - We had three NSPs when my son joined and there were problems, not having enough ASMs and troop guides. We currently have two NSPs, and things are working much better. I suspect the scoutmaster, and most current adult leaders, would prefer to set a limit of two NSPs.

Paul - I really like the parent sign-up idea. Does it work for your son's troop?

Bob - We're in a suburb, so there are five troops within half a mile. They range in size from tiny to small. They probably would all love to share in the wealth, so to speak. What they don't have that we do is the well-oiled advancement machine, which seems to be very popular with webelos leaders and parents.

Saltheart - Are you suggesting that we invite the DE to a troop committee meeting? Hmmm. Well, he's pretty tough, I suppose he'd survive.

Fat Old Guy - Do you have enough experienced and willing youth to provide leadership? That's definitely the $64K question. I don't think we do. The troop is aging out, with a bunch of juniors and seniors at the exit door, and not many in the way of 8-10th grade scouts.

Barry - The link is great! I'm going to email it to every adult leader today. I strongly encourage everyone to take a look at it.

DS, there are four of five current members of the troop I'll be sending your way - just as soon as they get back from juvie! ;)

The troop committee meets the 30th so I'll bring these comments, and any more that appear, to that forum for discussion. Thanks again for your help.

CubsRgr8,

Well, inviting the DE might be a good idea, but I'd make sure he has prior knowledge of what the topic of concern is before he gets there. One of his major responsibilities within his district is the health and viability of the troops that exist, saving those that are in trouble, and building new ones where necessary and possible. A large troop such as yours faced with the potential addition of upwards of 50 new faces would, in my book, be a real 'health of the troop' issue...for all the reasons I listed above. He gets paid, in part, for making sure that 'his' troops are healthy and strong, so invite him and allow him to earn part of his paycheck by lending his office, his advice, and his experience. But, as I tried to indicate before, make sure he understands what you all see as the limits the troop committee sees for itself beyond which life in the troop becomes difficult.

Good luck.