Let's remember the important part of Labor Day -- the Laborer's

It's going to be Labor Day tomorow. Please take a moment to honor those who labor.

I was going to attempt to name those we honor with the holiday, but I'm sure I'll leave out an important group or two, so I won't do that.

Let's remember that people are what get things done. Machines assist us, but without people to do the work our mail would not be delivered, we would not live in homes or drive cars, be able to call a plumber, or receive services of any kind. We have a drainage ditch in front of our house that wouldn't be there if someone hadn't dug it. Heck, our house would not be here if someone hadn't built it. I could go on and on, but I think you get the point.

Labor Day has come to mean a day off for just about eveyone, but it should never be forgotten that it is also a time to tip our hats and offer a little salute to the guys and gals who work for a living . . .

My salute to you, and enjoy the day.

Dave

My thoughts are with those who don't get the day off...

nurses, firefighters, police officers, those serving in the military at home and in harm's way.

God keep you safe, SPC Kevin M., US Army MP, Mosul, Iraq.(This message has been edited by scoutldr)

Thanks to Dave for kicking this one off.

Like scoutldr I'm especially partial to those who don't have the day off. Thank you to all who will work today so that we can enjoy the day in comfort & security.

For the young people who use this site.... Today, the day off reminds relatively few Americans of the role that organized labor played in our history. (Does anyone else remember union, or company, picnics & parades?) First celebrated in the 1880's on a relatively small scale, the holiday is now taken for granted by almost all workers. Regardless of politics, most Americans recognize that the labor movement led to a 40 hr. week & improved working conditions. I think that the following link is to a US Dept. of Labor site...

http://www.dol.gov/opa/aboutdol/laborday.htm

My grandfather, a leatherworker, died in an industrial accident in 1925 (non-union & pre-OSHA) & Dad spent 17 yrs on "the Pennsy" (Brotherhood of Railway Trainmen?) before spending 40+ more in public service - non-union.