Patriotic observances & politics

If someone could point to me a resource, that would be greatly appreciated, but any help you can give here is also appreciated.

Our Cubs had an opportunity to take part in a flag ceremony yesterday. They were invited by a local senior citizen community. We had four plus our new den chief from the troop, and I knew the boys knew little of flag ceremonies, but was disappointed to realize that the Cubs actually had NO knowledge at all of them. It was a friendly atmosphere, and the boys did fine with coaching, and we've been invited back. We were presented with the flag that used to fly there, and it is now to be passed on to our CO. What an honor! Our CO has a very tattered flag.

What would you suggest in the way of ceremony for this presentation? Though it was given to the Cubs, it was done so for the CO, and our troop shares a CO with us. We'd like to include the troop, the pack, the senior community, and the CO.

What other types of opportunities should we try to have for our Cubs in the way of patriotic observances?

And, with election day not too far off, and with citizenship being important, what are the limits on political involvement? It would be great to expose the boys--Cubs and Scouts--to what takes place in the community in respect to leadership/government. However, I want to respect boundaries and am not sure of what they are.

Even if the troop as whole does not get involved with the pack in the 2 areas named above, we do have one den chief now, will likely have more, and we have several big brothers who are from the troop and take part in pack activities. My personal goal is to try to, where possible, address both pack and troop needs in one event/ceremony.

TIA :)

I'm not sure if I fully understand your question, but can address the appropriatness of Scouts participating in flag ceremonies at potentially political events.

As Scouts and Scouters, we have a responsibility to provide service such as flag ceremonies, etc. However, we are non-partisan. It's okay to do a flag ceremony at the Republican dinner, but don't turn down the Democrats based on political bias -- or vice-versa.

That is different than the requests I've gotten from politicians over the years to have Scouts in uniform distribute their flyers -- that's exploitation of the BSA and most of them know it.

Participating in a get out the vote campaign is a different deal as long as it endorses the vote and not one candidate or party over the other.

I hope this helps.

DS

" We had four plus our new den chief from the troop, and I knew the boys knew little of flag ceremonies, but was disappointed to realize that the Cubs actually had NO knowledge at all of them."

Blame the school system, parents and society in general. It used to be that patriotic holidays were days of celebration with parades, picnics and speeches. Now holidays are just long weekends and a reason for a sale.

When I was a youngster, we'd watch the VFW or American Legion conduct flag ceremonies on holidays. Someone would talk about the meaning of the day it would sink into the mind of an eight year old. Of course, our brains hadn't been sucked dry by video games and we were able to listen to stories being told.

Yes, DSteele, that helps. Thank you :)

Fat Old Guy, I grew up being part of the Color Guard in school and in Girl Scouts. It was such an honor to be part of it, but even those not participating in the actual color guard understood flag etiquette--at least it seems that way.

So, we can take part in a flag ceremony for a particular political group as long as we not endorsing him/her, and we may help to encourage people to vote without sharing only one ticket. In a practical way--would it be okay to help at the polling place if a Cub or Scout were distributing literature from all parties?

I would very careful about doing flag ceremonies for political events. To me there would be no problem to do it as Dsteele said at Republican Party annual dinner but at a fund raiser dinner or rally for Joe Local Candidate, it may be seen as supporting that candidate. I would stay away from passing out any partisan literature. It fact in our state and many others you cant pass them out any within certain distance from a polling place on election day. There would be no problem I believe with Cubs and Scouts passing out in the week before the deadline for registering to vote, information on how to get registered. Also on the days before and the day of the election reminding people to vote and where. Nothing against urging scouts to go campaign events (out of uniform) to see what is going on. Go see G.W. Bush and the other candidates when they comes to town. They will get to see at least one president and maybe more.

Back last spring I saw people bring Scouts in uniforms to Support the Troops rallies that were run by the local conservative radio station (I know that because the signs had the call letters on them), that were anti-anti- war. More political than just supporting the troops. I felt that they were over the line with having them there.

" In a practical way--would it be okay to help at the polling place if a Cub or Scout were distributing literature from all parties? "

I wouldn't do that. How could you guarantee equity? What if the Cubs gave out 100 for person A but only 75 for person B?

Thank you again :) By the way, I'm not asking without reason: we just don't do anything patriotic, and I think we should. As often as possible. However, I don't want to guide our boys into something that if off-limits or inappropriate for the BSA.

FOG, I dont need it explained to me in baseball terms. They still need to have it corrected.

BTW--- I only have that email because I used to be catcher, I no longer am... I just dont feel like going through my whole internet log ons, etc and change it.

Laurie,

"While in uniform" it would be inappropriate for a scout or scouter to show support for or distribute literature in support of a specific party or candidate.

However if you wanted to distribute material urging people to get out and vote, or material informing people of where their polling place is that would be fine.

Another option is to urge scouts to learn about the issue and volunteer to help in a campaign, as long as they do it "out of uniform" that if fine as well.

Bob White