<<sigh>> (Yha, I know...it's offtopic.)

So tomorrow morning, my Brownie troop was going to get to do bird banding with this...sweet guy at the fish and wildlife service...he called me this morning to say someone else would be filling in because he was leaving today to go fight a wildfire in Montana. (Yha...I'm a single mom, he's a single dad, we got to talking at youth fishing day and he invited us to come do the birdbanding thing...he loves working with scouts.) Doesn't help my friend is pointing out that he's very nice looking, good with kids, and the type that drops everything to go do big strong manly things like fighting forest fires... my co-leader, without my knowing took a picture of him for me :p Anyway, prayers please if that's what you do for the fire crew in Montana the next couple weeks.

Ladies --

I have to admit that it never occurred to me that Boy Scouting could be a method for single mothers to meet good men. I think it's great and wish you the best of luck in whatever your endeavors may be.

Of course, I was one of those guys who during high school and college -- okay right up until just after I met Mrs. Steele -- who never hesitated to mention my Eagle Scout when I met a lady that drew my interest. I figured that if they laughed, they weren't worth my time and that if they were impressed, they were worth takling with . . . I can't tell you how many times that philosophy got me kicked by my fraternity brothers.

Dave

Hehe, well, I sure havn't been expecting to meet a great single guy in Girl Scouting ;) If I were being methodical about this, I'd get signed up again to help with a Boy Scout troop ;)

Speaking of Eagle Scouts, I woulda married one, except he was too nice to insist when I was a silly person way back when...couldn't handle the intensity of being in love with him, so went off and married someone who was a real jerk :p There's a summertime blockbuster film in there somewhere I'm sure!

So, anyhoo...we git ourselves up at 6 this morning to do the birdbanding, even though we were getting a stand-in, and guess who got himself up early too to do our birdbanding classroom session himself :) He was leaving later this morning for Montana, but came in for our girls :) I had him do a little spin - he was already wearing his official fire crew shirt. Sweet guy.

Talk amongst yourselves - 2/3 of Scouting is Outing, so what do the SC stand for? I'm feeling a bit verklempt...

Anne in Mpls

Annie --

Call him. If you get voice mail, don't be concerned. He's probably in a fire.

I believe in altruism as much as anyone, but it sure sounds to me like he's trying to impress you. It is possible to be both.

You go, girl! (I really don't say that very often. Perhaps I should.) :)

Good luck.

DS

Sctmom, I'm not sure I could ask him to come do the fire safety talk for our girls with a straight face :)

Ozemu's got a good idea there - one I'd already considered. Unfortunately, by the time he gets back from his turn on the fire crew, it will be hunting season for the woodies, so we can't be trapping and banding them then. (Can you tell I've been learning way too much about ducks lately? I am sooooo all about the ducks now!) He did however give our troop a large display area to work on and was almost specific about not wanting us to get it put up too soon ;) Big blank space in the visitor center just waiting there, but he'd rather we come back in a few weeks to put it up. hehe.

peace out,

Anne