Jump to content

Starting a Venture Patrol

Recommended Posts

I am a scout who wants to start doing some more adventurous activities. Some Scoutmasters and I have decided that a Venture Patrol would be the best way to do this. I still want the Venture Patrol to be an integral part of the troop, but have some of their own activities. Does anyone know how to start a Venture Patrol?

Link to post
Share on other sites

A Venture Patrol is part of your BSA Boy Scout Troop program. It is simply a different patrol in the Troop, doing different things.


It is NOT a Venturing unit (Crew / Ship) that requires a charter from a chartering organization.


I am suprised your Scoutmasters did not know this. Your PLC should get together with your SM and figure out how they want the patrol set up. Many Troops have a rolling/temporary patrol membership depending on the activity the Venture patrol is doing, or planning for.



Link to post
Share on other sites

Building off of what ScoutNut said.


The BSHB, SMHB, and such has basic information on the Venture Patrol.


The patrol is just a group of older boys (13 and up) who can do their own activities separate from the troop.


Your troop needs to decide which of the 2 ways it will run the patrol:


1. as another patrol along side the New Boy Patrol and other patrols.


2. as a patrol which only exists to plan and carry out Venture Patrol activies. For all other troop activities, the boys remain in their regular patrols (for in-patrol activities, troop activities, etc). Ideally, a Venture Patrol activities will last over a 3 month period for planning, preparationa, and then execution of the Venture Patrol activity (trip, etc). After this the cycle will restart with a new activity. For each cycle, the membership of the patrol can change (some boys may decide to opt-out of that activity), a new PL will be decided, etc.


These 'venture patrol activities' can be high-adventure or sports. Such as:


* a trip to a national high adventure base like Philmont, Northern Tier, or Florida Sea Base or trip to a high adventure program in your council or another council.


* a high adventure trip such as hiking a National Scenic Trail.


* participate in a bowling league




There is a series of 3 books with info on canned programs for Varsity Scout Teams & Venture Patrols that can help.


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Create New...