Banning adults from meetings

I would have to AGREE with Oak Tree on this one.

OBSERVE - means to watch and it is a parents right to know what is being said/done/taught to their child.

This attitude:

"Like I said Tell the Parents the where the parents sit and if she doesn't like it she can take her venturer and leave. Be sure you say " Have a Nice Day" on the way out. "

Seems so very counter productive to what we are suppose to be doing here for the youth. Yes, I have a parent in my unit thats a Pain in the Rear too, but I would find another way to tell inform the parent then in a sense, kicking the kid out.

Heck, get that parent involved and send them to Woodbadge to learn what a youth run unit is suppose to look like. It will get them out of your hair for a bit AND they can come back and be more productive for YOU.

~CM

First off, most parents like the one here won't take training, don't want to be a leader, just want to be a royal pain cause they are always right.

second, this is a venturing crew, over 14 yr old teens. If the parent doesn't want to follow the rules, then they banned. If they don't like that they can always go somewhere else. Most Teens I know if they liked Venturing would tell mom to go sit in the other room or not to come.

Thanks nldscout, I kinda know the specifics of a Venturing Crew, I am an adviser for one. You forget that they just can't be 14yo, they also have to have completed 8th grade.

Is there a way that, when the parent speaks up you can politely turn and remind her that the kids have things handled? Or give her a brief lesson in the EDGE model, letting her know that as their trained adviser, you are helping the youth learn how to be leaders?

Simply, you can't ban parents from meetings. Just for your own protection as well.

First off, most parents like the one here won't take training, don't want to be a leader, just want to be a royal pain cause they are always right.

You hit the nail on the head, nld.

This parent has been involved with a Troop for almost 10 years with an older son (stayed on to help out once he aged out) and hasnt taken a single training session or has never registered as a leader.

She was asked to be on the ship committee but is too busy.

The first time she interrupted and starting complaining I told her we could use more help and offered her the job of CC.

Her idea of helping was to suggest that we stop doing outside activities so we didnt have to plan and do so much.

Her husband agreed to be on the committee, refused to take any more scout training and has pretty much been AWOL ever since.

On the bright side her daughter will be off to college as early as the 2nd week in July and I dont expect to see Mom much after this.