what makes your Venturing Crew different from a troop?

" guess what I need to do is pull out my Explorer Program Helps that would be relevant, and scan them:

Explorers with Disabilities Program Helps

Exploring High Adventure Guide

Sports Exploring Program Helps

Explorer Program Helps for Youth Groups of all Faiths

Problem will be finding a place to get them on-line. Have to see if the USScouting Service Project people will post them."

emb021

That would be great.

But you shouldn't have to.

If (And I can't support this with any numbers)it seems that most Venturing Units have Ex-Boy Scout Leaders as the adult leaders and these guys are like me, they want and need a easy to follow program.

While the idea of having a place where a group of young adults can get together and share a common interest sounds great and does I'll admit in some units work. It seems to me that in most cases it's not working.

Most of these Ex-Boy Scouter's opt for the high adventure tag, because they don't have the skill or interest that falls into one of the areas.

Why can't we allow the young person to join a Crew where his or her pals are and then allow them to use a program which allows them to pick and choose what area they want to work in.

When I look at all the different areas of interest my 18 year old has, he doesn't really want to be tied down to a Crew that concentrates and follows a specialized pursuit.

He is a Sea Scout, in part because he is my kid!! But we are the only show in town that is delivering the goods and can be seen to deliver the goods.

Right now he is into multimedia, it seems that our new $7,000.00 video camera has become part of him. He is using it to make a promotion video for the Ship. I have Sea Scouts that are really into dance, as yet I'm still working on a way to bring what they do into what the Ship does. I'm sure given a little time I'll find something.

Allowing the young person to remain with their pals and then follow their interests rather than trying to units that cater to the interest has to be the way to go. If this means a total re-write of the program? I'm all for it.

Eamonn.