Troops that do Whitewater Rafting?

My troop went white water rafting for the first time in August on the Mckenzie River in Blue River OR. For a first time experience I must say the trip was perfect in all ways. The place is beautiful! The rafting company was easy to work with and the guide was attentive to everyones needs, to get wet and to those who wished to stay dry!

Our troop has done whitewater rafting in the past, but it is not a big part of our program. We always work through commercial outfitters and guides. We own no equipment of our own and have no qualified adult leadership. There are many opportunies for "day trips" here in California. The last time this troop did an extended expedition it was on the Rogue River in Southern Oregon.

Hey Gene, I've been on the McKenzie, from way up past the McKenzie Bridge area down to Leaburg Dam (actually below that but I don't count that part) from February through Sept. Great fishing too! That watershed is one of my favorites on Earth. I couldn't spend enough time there. August was the perfect time for your trip but as you say, it is beautiful anytime.

But...

We do most of the troop stuff in the Southeast where we're located. Nantahala River, Ocoee, Nolichucky, French Broad (yes, that's a river), Chatooga, many little streams that you don't hear about. The great thing about whitewater here is that we can do it as late as well into December comfortably. We rent rafts but a lot of us have WW kayaks so there is a mix. We also borrow canoes for lakes (never on the rivers). I know people who have made some monumental mistakes on the river and still lived to tell. One was right out of 'Deliverance'...oh well, some other time.

Safety is always first. We can lose (forget) lunch but without the safety gear we don't go. Getting ready is not that involved. They take a towel and extra clothes to change into after the run, lunch (ziplocks inside tupperware inside waterproof bags - no glass, no cans, only plastic if possible) hats, sunscreen, water, trash bags, water shoes, maybe a waterproof camera or two. I make them wear t-shirts with their swim suits. They are usually glad I did that around mid-day. Some wear the zip off pants over their swim suits (I do too).

Aside from the safety afloat stuff, we follow all that and make pfd and helmets mandatory (worn, not carried) on any river with rapids. For flat-water rivers we don't require helmets but we still require pfd to be worn. Beyond that, knowing the boys and knowing the water is next. For whitewater, boys don't really have to know how to swim although I prefer it. The current is usually too strong or turbulent to effectively swim anywhere they are likely to fall out of a raft.

I have a good feeling for the limits of their capability so we try to aim for experiences that don't involve needless risk. Knowing the water is something that you can hire in the form of a guide. But if you execute the trip yourself, someone, preferably more than one must know the section you're on, the rapids, and what the conditions are for the particular water level at the time of the trip.

In rafts, we provide on the water training for the boys. We put in at a calm location and run them through all the basic paddling skills, turns, ferrying, eddying, etc. Reading the water takes more experience so we put at least one experienced person in each raft, or let the experienced raft lead the way. We stop at each rapid (even the easy ones) and scout it. This gives the younger guys some idea of how to judge the best route, how flowing water behaves. Better yet, we let some other craft pass us and have a little fun at their expense (learn from their mistakes). Sometimes this is so much fun that we want to stay awhile and watch the show.

Unless someone is meeting you at the take-out, extra time is needed to drop off vehicles left at the take-out. This requires more than two adults on the trip. Two to stay with the boys and gear at the take-out while all the rest of the drivers travel up to get their vehicles. Allow plenty of time for all that, some trips can really take a long time because of it.

But again all this depends on the river. If it is a fast continuous run, there is less opportunity to scout rapids. More of a roller coaster ride. I really enjoy a series of falls and pools. ...We approach the 7 foot ledge, the first boat simply disappears over it. The rest of them get quiet. I ask, "who's next?" They look at each other. I love seeing those wide eyes tipping over a ledge they can't see past. On a short section, if you time it right, you can run it twice in a day.

Equipment has to be secured properly, safety throw rope for each raft, something to bail water with...you get the idea. We try not to take coolers on the river and then only tiny ones that can be secured with the other equipment. We leave a big cooler in the vehicle at the take out with drinks and food (they're going to wait there for a while) and the extra clothes. If the take-out spot is appropriate, we swim for a while too.

I know most of our rivers fairly well so when possible, we schedule lunch for a location where everyone can swim (again with pfd and helmet on). The kayakers are usually very experienced and I don't worry too much about them, we stay together as a group and they play all around the rafts. Then at lunch we let the non-yakers give it a try in a safe place. Great fun. I wish I was on the water right now.