Just another Sea Scout Weekend

Well, we were up on Lake Michigan this past weekend out for our last sail of the year. Sunny, 90 degrees, winds SE 15, gusting to low 20's, waves 2-4, visibility 1.5 miles. We came out of the harbor and went south east to put the sails up. We learned a lesson that other boats didn't necessarily assemble the same as ours. Well we blew past that obstacle and came about and header north with the wind. A much better cruise.

I think the weather was awesome, except the waves just beat the snot out of us. Whenever the waves are over 3 feet, we're going to stay in the harbor and race 420's or go to a smaller lake. We had to see a few 6 footers in there too. If I (we) ever see 6 footers again in that size of sailboat (27' Catalina) it will be too soon.

Anyway, about an hour into our cruise a lone sailor on a Hoby Catamaran hails us, asking if we have a radio. I said we did. He says, "I lost my friend." We thought he may have been in another Cat, but he clarified that his buddy had fallen overboard off of his catamaran and he lost sight of him. I asked, "where?" He shrugged his shoulders. So we initiated the Mayday. "Mayday, Mayday, Mayday" This is Sea Scout Sailing vessel Trustworthy and we have a man in the water. The USCG at first thought we had the man overboard. Negative, the overboard is off a Catamaran, he is 30 year old male, in a wet suit and blue and yellow life vest. We had a little communications problem due to us not having a GPS and me naming the incorrect lighthouse as a reference point, but we finally got it straightened out. He was in the drink about 15 minutes when we were hailed. I let them know that Sea Scout Sailing vessels Trustworthy and Loyal were beginning to search to the north. A few minutes later, the Sheriff's boat arrived on scene, made contact with us and joined the search, after that the Coast Guard boat arrived and began the search and then soon after a helicopter arrived out of Milwaukee and joined the search. When the Coast Guard OIC reported the search status over the radio to his hq, he said he had two USCG boats, the helo, Sheriff Boat 1, and the Sea Scouts in Trustworthy and Loyal. We searched for about an hour and a half along side the CG and Sheriff's Dept, when the CG reported that the guy was found north of where we were searching. Alive. Our guys were all business during the search. I told the Bosn's Mate that if we find the guy, I'll do the check compressions and he can do the mouth to mouth. He didn't think that was too funny.

(This message has been edited by Trail Pounder)