Swimmer's Test - Who can conduct the test?

In my Council, they require a certified (BSA or Red Cross) lifeguard to conduct and sign-off on the beginner and swimmer's test for summer camp.

For 1st Class requirement 9b (Successfully complete the BSA swimmer test.) who can conduct the test?

Because it obviously requires water, my interpretation is that anyone trained in Safe Swim Defense may conduct this test. In the description of the BSA Swimmer's Test (see: http://www.usscouts.org/safety/g2ssII.html#RTFToC7) it simply refers to the "test administrator."

Comments?

I dont think our scoutmaster is lifeguard ceritfied, but he conducts the swim tests for the most part in our troop. We do ours at the public pool so there are lifeguards there if really needed, as well as one of the troop guides who is a BSA Lifeguard.

My take on it is that anyone who can sign off of other requiremnts can sign off of this one also.

But you must have an adult leader that is trained in Safe Swim Defense to be there while the testing is in process.

From the GTSS

Before a BSA group may engage in swimming activities of any kind, a minimum of one adult leader must complete Safe Swim Defense training, have a commitment card (No. 34243) with them, and agree to use the eight defenses in this plan.

Correct me if i'm wrong - but this has been a big issue in our troop - so I think I'm safe in my memory....

i belive in the 'safe swim' and 'safety afloat' guides it says that you do not have to have a lifeguard perform the test - and that the troop may not have to provide lifeguards in a public pool or beach where lifeguards are posted. But you do have to have a lifeguard (red cross or BSA) THERE for anyone who has not yet passed the test or been ranked by ability.

If you don't know what level they are yet - you must have a lifeguard - therefore the lifegard is the logical person to conduct the test and sign off.

But they 'strongly suggest' that at least one adult planning and participating in the activitiy be BSA lifeguard certified - which is alot more involved than simple Red cross lifeguard requirements.