On our last weekend of trail pounding, the crew planned spaghetti, which sounded great, but when exercised came in way way too heavy. We had to lug a big pan, extra water, and 2 quarts of ragu. Did I mention who had to lug that pan and one of those Ragus?

What are some of your favorite lightweight one pot meals geared for the trail.

Alrighty, I'll start this one. My first idea is Chicken Fajitas. There are the new tear open packages of chicken. It tastes just like canned chicken, but at three times the price. How about using the canned chicken and placing it in a ziplock bag for the trail. Instead of dicing the peppers and onions prior, leave them intact until it's time to use them. Take some tortillas, salsa, and seasoning and your in business. How light is that? Sounds a lot lighter than those 2 quarts of Ragu.

We did mac&cheese once, stirred in (originally) frozen ground beef and some peas. Nonstandard to be sure but interesting idea and I don't take those lightly...

Pretty good stuff but a challenge to clean it up! Maybe try it in a turkey bag next time for easier cleanup? Anybody trying out reflector ovens? What happens when you make it a challenge by removing freeze-dried packages from the choices???

• 3 weeks later...

In our crew we have a wide range of skills and experience with outdoor cooking... from boys with Eagle and 150 nights camping in a tent, to girls who have never prepared their own outdoor menu. So it is interesting to see them together skipping over the usual plateau of learning a Tenderfoot goes through with peanut butter-and-jelly or the no-protein meals of top raimen. It is really important that the "young adults" be allowed to do the planning and reach their own conclusions on the success or failure of a meal on the trial, teaching each other. Anyway they don't generally pay much attention to us Advisors and we are not there to be their surogate parents cooking and cleaning! Whoops, I think I started a whole new topic!