I didn't say volunteers should recognize their DEs and I'm not advocating for anything in this thread. I said if a volunteer chooses to nominate a volunteer who also happens to be a DE for their profession for an award that they feel that person deserves based upon volunteer service, and it's ratified by a volunteer committee, it's not anyone's place to say whether they should have received the award or not.

I've met Scout Executives who proudly wear Tiger Cub Den Leader knots. I've met an ASE who proudly wears a DAM he received while also serving as a DE. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, but it happens, and it's not my place to judge if they should be wearing them or not. I won't cast the first stone.

I see two sides to this and do agree that a DE should be able to earn volunteer awards up to a point. A DE should not get the DAM unless they are the best there ever was! LOL They are pro's and as such should be doing an incredible job and so the standards to earn a DAM would have to be exceeded a hundredfold or more. The SB has rules and we should abide by them. But pretty much I think that most of the rest of the knots are open season. If you have a DE who is also a volunteer Tiger leader then I think they do deserve to earn that knot. If they are a Tiger leader because there is not another one and and as a DE they have to do it for some job related reason they should not get it (I can't imagine what the reason might be but just sayin'). I would say that I would be afraid that the committee that reviews or selects nominations may not be well versed in how "it should be" and may choose a DE based on the same standards used for a volunteer and I do not think that would be right thus I believe that a restriction on those types of awards is appropriate but for volunteer tenure related awards like TL, DL, SM etc... the standards are pretty much solid but I also think that the DE would need to exceed the requiremnts in some areas. For example, a DE should have to both attend Round Tables and the University of Scouting because I think they should be at Round Table in a job related capacity. Just my opinion, your mileage may vary