Pack & Troop Membership Ribbon

My district executive tends to give me accumulated stuff rather than throwing it out, since I tend to find ways to use it.

A few months ago he gave me eight nice blue ribbons, suitable to hang on a unit flag. Printed on them is "Council Membership Award" presumably left over from a council initiative in some past year.

I have come up with an idea to use these --- a district membership award.

The DE and I would come up with some ways units would qualify to receive this ribbon. They would be included in the recharter packets and also promoted to unit leaders at Roundtables and by e-mail blasts.

Those who complete several of the achievements would receive a ribbon for their unit flag.

Some ideas I have for achievements include:

1) Hold a spring and fall recruiting night

2) Have a designated unit membership chair who would help plan

and carry out the unit membership plan and help with a

district membership activity.

3) Update their "BeAScout.Org" pin.

4) Maintain or improve on the unit's recruiting and retention

of Scouts over year 2010.

Some units are always on the lookout for an award to win. Others might adopt this as a plan for improving their membership practices for the year. Others will pitch the sheet and ignore it of course.

Does this sound worth a try?

How would you improve the promotion of this award?

What would you add or delete as requirements to win the award?

If we have a reasonable degree of success with this, I'd take it to our Council Vice President of Membership and suggest it be considered as a Council award for 2012.

"Bright ideas are cheaper than baloney. Bright ideas that WORK are rare gems. You never know which is which unless you give the bright ideas a try"

Seattle Pioneer