Not sure what direction District Committees are heading?

Seems to me and this is just my view.

That we are going to see some big changes in the things that District Committees go about their business.

Have to admit that at this time, which is maybe a little too early? I'm not sure I like where we are heading.

This of course might just me not wanting to change.

With Commissioners now having new duties and responsibilities, many of which in the past were the duties and responsibilities of District Committee Chairman (Training, Camping and so on) I'm kinda at a loss to know what the District Committee will do?

As I have posted in the past I'm stuck with the idea that Commissioner Service is unrepairable broken. But that's for another thread.

My fear is that with this push to bring more and more parents into active Scouting, some of these parents will be selected to be the "New District Committee" and that their main function will be bringing more funding into the Council.

(Not that we don't need more cash!).

The District Committee will become a District Board of Directors who have little or no knowledge of what is really happening in the Districts.

Handing over the duties that District Committees have done in the past to the Commissioner service just seems totally and completely daffy to me.

Of course I'm hoping that I'm 100% wrong about this.

Eamonn.

"With Commissioners now having new duties and responsibilities"

Am I the only one who didn't get that memo?

"The District Committee will become a District Board of Directors who have little or no knowledge of what is really happening in the Districts."

Sounds like the Council Executive Board model.

I think what Eamonn is talking about is the possibility of the training and program functions moving from the District Committee to the Commissioner's Staff. The committee would then essentially be left with membership and finance.

If the functions get moved, then I would think that the people doing that function would be moved also. This means committee members would become unit commissioners, helping the 3 to 1 ratio which is hard to attain. Would these people agree to this move? Could I then assign units for them to visit?

I heard it said that there are only about 100 volunteers in my council. No matter how you spread them around or what job title you give them, it's still 100 volunteers. The stuff that matters will get done first, the rest either waits or does not get done at all.

"With Commissioners now having new duties and responsibilities"

Eamonn, I posted similar information that was mentioned at PTC this summer, but it was only an idea from the MacKenzie study. Are referring to my post, or have you heard it from a different source?