Membership decline. - Are we turning the corner?

I had 6 scouts last summer before a major cross-over and SM change in the troop. I now have only 3 of those boys struggling to keep things together. I asked the three why their buddies left the troop and I was emphatically told it was because I was using boy-led, patrol-method and they didn't want to work.

If I take on 25 new boys each year and they whittle down to 10 because they had to actually be scouts and do the work, I figure I'm going to retain about 70 boys on average. That means a huge troop of dedicated boys. That's still twice as many as most troops out there where the adults do everything and the boys ride along being cared for and entertained. By the way with the 3 boys that didn't want to work, I also lost 1 to moving away and his best friend doesn't attend any more. I've lost on average one a month. That'll leave 13 at the end of year, and I'm still on track for a 70 boy troop.

If one sticks with a proper program, the boys will stay. Those who are still with the troop, prefer this new method (boy-led, patrol-method) over the previous program. If I lose boys at twice the rate I'm experiencing, I'm still destined for a 35 boy troop. It kinda sounds like one doesn't have to work all that hard to maintain numbers in a troop with using the boy-led, patrol-method.

Stosh

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I asked the three why their buddies left the troop and I was emphatically told it was because I was using boy-led, patrol-method and they didn't want to work.

As Beavah might say, boys are a very conservative lot. They don't like change.

So for that reason now is the perfect time to think ahead before the big influx of new Scouts.

Two things to consider are rituals and equipment.

When I had a similar opportunity as you do now, I researched Traditional Troop opening and closing ceremonies. With some horse-trading I was able to convince the two Patrol Leaders to open the meetings with only a very brief Pledge to the Flag. From there they launched directly into the meeting without any delay.

For closing we built a Scout Oath and Law candle assembly. We made any absolutely necessary announcements first and then we turned out all of the lights. The Patrol Leaders would light a candle for each of the points of the Oath and Law:

PL (facing the Troop from behind the rows of candles): "Duty to God, Country and Law"

All (very loud): "On my honor I will do my best to do my duty to God and my country and to obey the Scout Law" (PL lights first Oath candle)

PL: "Duty to others"

All: "To help other people at all times;"(PL lights second Oath candle)

PL: "Duty to self"

All: "To keep myself physically strong, mentally awake, and morally straight." (PL lights third Oath candle)

PL: "Trustworthy"

All (very loud): "A Scout is Trustworthy" (PL lights the Trustworthy candle)

PL: "Loyal"

All: "A Scout is Loyal" (PL lights the Loyal candle, etc.)

I would take a very short Scoutmaster minute, then a Patrol Leader would dismiss the Scouts to leave the meeting room in complete silence with the candles still burning behind them. Someone would pass out fliers in the hall in place of most of the usual spoken announcements.

The new Scouts were all rough-and-tumble boys, but in Scoutmaster conferences many of them said the "deep" ritual ceremony was their favorite part of the otherwise noisy meeting.

Another thing to think about is equipment. Now is the time to start purchasing lightweight "backpacking" Patrol equipment rather than the usual heavy duty car camping gear, and decide on your joining fees accordingly. If you want small Scouts to spread their Patrols out widely from the parking lot, lightweight equipment is the way to go.

Some Traditional Troop meeting plans:

http://inquiry.net/patrol/troop/index.htm

Some advice on lightweight Patrol equipment:

http://inquiry.net/outdoor/equipment/lightweight_camping.htm

Kudu

I don't necessarily adhere to the boys don't like change. I found that those who did go with the change would not go back to the way it was. When one of my older boys was asked whether he was going to the 2010 Jamboree the first thing out of his mouth was whether the contingent was going to be boy-led or not. It was the core basis for his decision.

I changed the ceremonies, the meeting style, full uniforms (part of the PL's uniform is the PL flag/staff), etc. when I came on board. It was a major influence in changing the morale of the boys from "this troop is dying", to "this troop is going to make it and do it in a big way". They went to summer camp and took real pride in their patrol formations at flag ceremonies, and (much to the chagrin of their mother's) wore their full uniform most of the time. At first there were a lot of untucked shirts and missing neckerchiefs, but now everyone looks sharp for the ceremonies.

When I was handing out summer camp participation patches I had gotten after the closing campfire, I called out the name of the first boy to come get his patch and my TG immediately walked over at me and said, "Shouldn't the PL's be handing these out?" Don't cha hate it when they really learn this boy-led, patrol-method stuff! That was the most enjoyable dress-down I had received in a long time.

Stosh

• 3 years later...

Mr. Boyce writes:

I'm not sure the BSA has lost its purpose. There's been a 25% decline in camping since the 1980s. . . I think generally the idea of going outside, camping and hiking, knowing about the natural world around us, just doesn't have much vibrancy with most youth.

Stosh

If memory serves the last time you posted here you announced you were leaving your troop and scouting because of internal problems in the troop and you were asked to leave. Did something change? It sounds like you are still actively involved or is your scenario based on past experience?

I confess myself a bit confused. Here Kudu has resurrected this thread by tossing out a quote from Mr. Boyce with neither preface nor explanation. Still it provides an opportunity for further discussion, so I'll bite.

Scouting has experienced some transformations in the last few decades that have not served the movement well. We seem to have transitioned from a "citizenship" focus to a "values" focus, we have gone from "promoting" Scouting to "marketing" it, and we have let a "brotherhood of cheerful service" become an "honor society." Some might argue that I'm simply talking semantics, but I believe that they reflect an overall loss of focus. What might we do to get back to our initial focus?

sherminator505 writes:

I confess myself a bit confused. Here Kudu has resurrected this thread by tossing out a quote from Mr. Boyce with neither preface nor explanation.

I was wondering how hard it would be to bump 100 threads in which someone attributes the decline of the BSA to the propaganda that Americans don't like camping.

sherminator505 writes:

What might we do to get back to our initial focus?

Simply return Scouting to camping:

US Forest Service Visitors Report released: People love their National Forests

Written on August 12, 2011 by Sarah McIntyre in News

This week, the US Forest Service released their National Visitor Use Monitoring report, illustrating the value that our national forests provide to both recreational visitors and the economic impact they have on nearby communities. In the past year, our national forests attracted 170.8 million visitors, sustained 223,000 jobs in rural communities, and helped to contribute $14.5 billion to the US economy.

About the report, Forest Service Chief Tom Tidwell says, This data shows once again just what a boon our forests are to local economies. Because of forest activities, thousands of jobs are supported in hundreds of rural communities. We are proud of helping to put a paycheck into the pockets of so many hardworking Americans. As the land of many uses, national forests not only contribute to our economy, but also provide economic relief for visitors. Less than half of the 17,000 Forest Services developed sites charge a fee to visitors.

Last year, the Forest Service interviewed 44,700 visitors to national forests, and found that approximately 94% of those surveyed were happy with their experience of the national forests. Thats probably not a surprise to many, as the national forests provide a place where we can enjoy our favorite outdoor activities, whether it be hiking, skiing, camping, or backpacking.

Other facts gleaned from the report:

Recreation activities help to sustain 223,000 jobs in the rural communities within 50 miles of the national forests and grasslands, thanks to visitors that purchase goods and services.

Visitors spend $13 billion directly in those communities within 50 miles of the national forests and grasslands.

For those that do have to pay fees to access national forest lands, approximately 83% are content with the value received.

Almost 95 million visitors (over 55%) visit a national forest to engage in an recreational activity.

http://www.dailyhiker.com/news/forest-service-visitors-report-released-people-love-their-national-forests/

• 2 months later...

Here are some of my concerns:

(a) there are new pastimes and activities for youth which didn't exist 10 or 20 years ago;

(b) professional educators/schools are now getting interested in Outdoor Education kinds of programs;

© given negative academic critiques of the USA, and subsequent media tones that repeat this negative view of American history, it is very tough for an American to feel patriotic in a nonpartisan way;

(d) since Vietnam, the American public has mixed views on the military, and uniforms and the BSA are affected by this;

(d) Aggressive sports leagues, sports leagues on steroids, have developed, commanding and demanding more attention; because of TV, sports participation ranks higher as a value among youth;

(e) Parents are more focused on getting Johnny into the meritocracy, which means more academic activities, and they are less concerned about how well-rounded Johnny is. This concern, given the movements on the American economy, needs to be respected and considered by the BSA in some fashion: people want their kids to ultimately have good jobs.

(f) With two-income families, it is tough for the father as well as the mother to have free time to do volunteer work;

(g) The BSA was known as a community service organization and won public respect for this; now "community service hours" are compelled by schools.