Length of time as service as a Commissioner

Until death.

Seriously, some districts have an unofficial three years for district committee positions but for commissioners most do not. There is an award - the Distinguished Commissioner Service Award which I believe requires five consecutive years of active service. So, don't think there is a three year max or anything. Of course, like all volunteer positions, someone can always deny your application.

District committee positions are elected annually. The same people can be re-elected, or they can be replaced with new nominees, at the discretion of the nominating committee, but the understanding is that it's for a one-year term.

Even as a Commissioner, you have to re-app (pun and spelling intended) every year.

DC has a window of opportunity annually to say "Thank you for your service to Scouting, perhaps this job may be more to your suiting?"

I've seen my DC ask a person or two to find other Scouting jobs from his staff in his current tenure.

Yah, unlike acco, I've seen some Commissioners still listed on staff even after they had died. ;) Often they "fade out". Occasionally units ask for one to help with something, and are told "Joe is your commish" and they say "Joe who? Haven't seen him in years!" :( Then the DC finds 'em someone and the process repeats.

Good Commissioners can and should stay around for as long as their heart is in it, and they are really into support and service (not just hangin' around da coffee pot with their district buddies).

Commissioner's membership runs from one charter year to the next. Just like all volunteers.

Each year the list should be presented to to the Council Executive Board for their approval.

This list is normally made by the District Commissioner, working with the Council Commissioner.

Eamonn