The District Commissioner tossed out an interesting idea on how to help struggling units hen a shortage of Unit Commissioners is a fact of life.

He suggested appointing an ad hoc team of four experienced Unit Commissioners to work with a struggling Pack or Troop for a few months, trying to help resolve serious problems and get the unit functioning effectively again within 3-4 months.

The issue of whether this would be seen as interfereing by units was discussed. Firstly, these are units that don't have Unit Commissioners now ---so having a team involved is partly a way of getting more from the scarce UC resources available, rather than trying to overwhelm or take over a unit. Secondly, units would be offered this kind of help, rather than simply having it assigned. So they would be agreeing to this approach.

Apparently the Troop has some adult leadership that hasn't been working well. Several outings have been cancelled at the last minute, and now Scouts lack confidence that activities will actually take place. This was one example of problems in the Troop.

It sounded like an interesting idea. One team of four was appointed, which will be working with a struggling Troop.

I'll be looking forward to see how this initial experiment works out. More next month, I expect.

Seattle Pioneer

SP

Keep us posted. It sounds on the surface like a great idea. The part of the unit agreeing to it is where I scratch my head. What if the SM wants it but the CC doesn't?

All units have issues, some bigger than others. Even more when there is no UC. But to have four UC's dropped in their laps....

I will report back next month when I find out what's happened.

Several threads on UCs complain that Commissioner status is a retirement home for venerable Scouters. The four who were volunteered last night might fit like that, good people who've perhaps gotten a bit too comfortable.

This might provide a challeenge to get them working together in effective ways to help a struggling unit that otherwise would be left to it's own devices.

Thanks for your comments, rkfrance.

Seattle Pioneer

We've been using the idea of a commissioner "intensive care" team for some time, because weve been without a full complement of Unit Commissioners. We have a ADC who works with units in difficult situations for a short period of time, often involving advancement, training and other committee people and then hands off to a UC for longer term help. It has worked pretty well. In fact, by doing this we have been able to recruit more UCs because they are being asked to work on a specific issue with a specific unit rather than just being asked vaguely to work with a unit in general. We have almost a complete set of UCs and ADCs now.

Pioneer District, Cascade Pacific Council, Portland, Oregon