Camp Chickahominy Sold

The link didn't work, so I went straight to the Daily Press' web site and navigated from there.

So it's true. This hits close to home, since our first resident camp with little KS was at Chick. The lake was fabulous, and the fire bowl with the lake and the woods on the other side in the background is just what you picture a Scout camp should look like. We're going to miss it; I hope the plans for the new one go well.

How's this for a coincidence?

The Greater Western Reserve Council in North eastern Ohio just recently sold their Camp Chickagami. When I saw the thread title, I thought someone had mispelled our camp's name.

I don't know all the details for sure, so for anyone who is using this as correct information, confirm before you react. But as I understand, a local park district bought it. It will take a few years for it to be paid, and, until then, the Council has first rights to use it. After that, the Scouts will be able to use it, but on a first come first serve basis. The big problem is that there are, I think I heard, 18 structures on the property. All but a couple have been condemned, and there is an agressive plan to tear these down.

We are lucky to have two other Scout camps. But, as you can imagine, there is a lot of concern about this in our Council.

Good luck to your Scouts as they find less camping area availablilty. This is sad. I've said this consistently for 15 years now, but it's too bad the BSA has to be run like a business, but it does.

Mark