Should I Go Or Should I Stay?

As I have posted on a couple of occasions I don't have very much respect for the person who is the Field Director in our council. In fact I am guilty of not liking him. I have tried to push me not liking him to one side, but I still due to some of the stuff that he has pulled or has tried to pull just can not respect him.

As a rule we don't get in each others way and he is clever enough that if he wants something he gets someone else to do the asking.

He has put his name on the list for promotion and I live in hope that someone will hire him and take him as far away as is possible.

Pam, our DE for the past eight years is leaving the profession. Not entirely due to him, but he is part of the reason that she is leaving. As yet she hasn't informed the Council. Her contract states that she has to give one months notice. She informs me that she wants to go before the end of the year and will give her notice in October.So far I am the only person in the Council that knows she is going. We have worked very well together over the years and are really very close not just in Scouting but outside of Scouting. I know that our friendship will continue long after she stops working for the BSA.

At this time I have no idea what is going to happen to the district when she is gone.

The Council could divide the district between two other districts and save money. Even though we are the most successful district in the council. If you use meeting goals and Quality District as the benchmark. This would be my choice. We are still the smallest district in the council and this would be a significant savings. Of course this would ruffle the feathers of a good number of people and the DE's in the other two districts are nothing to write home about. One is a very new DE who I don't think is going to last long, in part due to lack of support from the Field Director. The other is a very nice young lady but her district is a mess. She has had a lot of problems in her home life and I can't see her doing a better job any time soon.

Or they could hire a new DE. If they do I think that he or she is going to be someone new to the profession.

If this happens I'm not sure what I should do. This new DE has the Field Director as his or her boss. I think it would be very unfair of me to have this poor DE stuck in the middle between me the District Chairman and the Field Director.

He or she works for the Council and that is where the pay check will come from. So to my mind that is who he has to listen to.

I in no way want to jeopardize his or her career, but when he comes to me with stuff from the Field Director I can't see me supporting it if it is like most of the stuff that he has tried to pull.

Leaving the new DE with a new chairman doesn't seem to be fair. But leaving a new DE with a chairman who thinks that his boss is an idiot seems just as unfair.

I am willing to step down. I am not willing to allow my values and the way I think fall in line with Field Directors.

Any ideas?

Eamonn,

Might I suggest a sit down meeting with the council Key-3 (Council President, Council Commissioner, Scout Executive), and let them know of your concerns and conflicts.

Whether you leave or stay it would be worth you time to try and influence a change in the way the Field director behaves or in who the field director is. What have you got to lose?(This message has been edited by Bob White)

You should stay. If you're going to be surrounded by that much inexperience, they need you there.

BTW, please don't wish for your Field Director to be transferred as far away from you as possible. With the possible exception of Far East Council in Japan, as far away as possible means right here where I am!

KS

Eamonn,

It sounds like you want to leave but have reservations. I would look at it this way. What's best for the kids? Where can I find my replacement?

I will keep you in my prayers.

Ed Mori

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10