Can districts have web sites?

Okay, I know many of you will jump right in saying "yes" to that question but what I'm really trying to find out is if anyone knows national's stance on district websites. I was talking to a DE from another council about our district starting a website and he said, "your DE should know better than to set up a district website, only council is allowed to have one." Well, I think a district website is a great idea but I also prefer to follow the rules. So, anyone have a reference for this?

Thanks.

The District may have a website with Councils approval. Remember the district is a geographical subdivison of the council. The council is the legal entity. Your Council has Web guidelines from national that must be followed.

Bob White

Here is a council policy in writing.

here is the link

www.threefirescouncil.org

This document is the Three Fires Councils standards & guidelines adapted from the BSAs

national guidelines. This document is effective 3/27/2002 and supersedes all pervious website

guidelines for the Council.

Districts can develop their own Internet website as long they observe the rules and regulations of

the BSA. The Council has a standing website committee consisting of volunteers and advised by

the Council Business Manager. This committee will review all district websites, and unit websites

through the district, for compliance with these standards. Where this document does not make a

specific statement or answer a question, refer to the national guidelines.

On a related note - Does Scouter.com support district websites? Our DE was expressing interest in building a site, and I offered to do the work, and suggested Scouter.com as a host. Is this allowed?

• 8 months later...