Girl Scout Day Camp this week!

Just writing to share that we are having a really great time in GS Day Camp this week! Our theme is "Back to the Basics - Outdoor Adventure!" The girls are learning knots, making buddy burners, and laying edible campfires :-)

I'm leading Music at camp - I've set it up like a real campfire program: I open and close the campfire ceremoniously each time they come, we do crazy camp songs, skits, cheers from our Cheer detergent box, give awards, just like a good ole' Cub Scout campfire!

Funny thing is, I don't even have a DAUGHTER! I got "drafted" to teach Music class - this is my 3rd year and my son (Webelos I) goes to the Tag-along class - he loves it as much as I do!

Just wanted to share a smile!

clyde

The "scoutingweb" link that Scoutnut gave is the one we used - it really was so cute for the girls. They also made edible Camp Stew (Coco Krispies for the meat, marshmallows for the potatoes, that sort of thing) - made it in a big batch, took it with them on a mini-hike, then filled bowls and ate it with a spoon.

From an outsider's view, the Girl Scouts in our area do not appear to do the outdoor-sy thing much, so this was really new to some of them. They learned several knots (square, bowline, etc.). They also made lean-to's and had to stand under them while the leader used a water hose to test it :-) Today was our last day - I'm beat, but it was fun!

And get this: Tonight all our den boys (8 Webelos) are coming over for a sleep-over and swimming at our house - what was I thinking?!!!

clyde

Clydesdale, don't count on getting much rest tonight!

Two years ago, my church's Vacation Bible School was the same week as Day Camp. Each day after we got home from Day Camp, we'd shower, throw our camp T-shirts in the washer, grab a quick bite to eat, and then head off to VBS. After VBS, I put the camp shirts in the dryer, put our VBS shirts in the washer, and got lunches ready for the next day. I was completely exhausted by the end of that week!