Father's role in Girl Scouting

In theory - no different than her mother. In fact, the Girl Scout Volunteer application of Metro Detroit (where my daughter is a member) does not ask the sex of the volunteer.

In fact, on the application it states:

"This is an application for a volunteer position in Girl Scouting for which there is no monetary compensation. In the selection of volunteers, there shall be no discrimination against an otherwise qualified individual on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, sex, religion, creed, national origin, socioeconomic status, age, disability, marital status, veteran status, or

on any other basis prohibited by federal, state, or local law."

Some council's require that the main leader in a troop be female, but other than that dad's are welcome to volunteer in any capcity they wish.

The problem is that for some reason dad's do not often WANT to volunteer for Girl Scouts. I guess the concept of GIRL Scouts is just to, I don't know, "girly" for some dads.

Unfortunately, this means that very few male GSUSA volunteers are seen by the public (& the leaders, girls & their families). This has the effect of making dads who would like to volunteer, feel that they can't, & of making girls families somewhat wary of the dads that do.

Your daughter's Scouting experience is every bit as important as your son's. Sign up today! You will be glad you did!

We have one dad in our troop who's always ready to come along on trips. He's taken the required outdoor training for our council and has gone camping, water-skiing and whitewater rafting with us. When camping, working or traveling with the girls, there are certain rules about having a female leader along with you (one of those things for your safety as well as theirs), and there are simple arrangements to follow when camping that concern where you should bunk and how the latrine and bathing facilities are shared (we have a big sign that says "MAN!" that he hangs up when he's in residence.

We love having dads along, and our council has had several troops with male leaders (sometimes paired with their wives). My favorite trainer is part of a couple's leader team he's been active with both Boy Scouts and Girls Scouts forever. At a recent council camporee, a mother accompanying her Brownie-aged daughter saw him at the lake and realized he had been her leader years ago. That brought back such memories that she's now a troop leader herself!

Forgive that little tangent but by all means be involved, whether you take on a leadership role or help out on the troop committee or serve as the troop's cookie manager your involvement will be invaluable!