Chubby Cuddly Chap With A Beard ?

A couple of years back, the English Scouting Magazine, asked the Boy Scouts to write in with what they thought a Scout Leader is to look like.

They got a lot of replies, and by far most of them described the English Scout Leader as a "Chubby Cuddly Chap with a beard."

I wonder how the American Boy Scouts would describe their American Scoutmasters ?

Yes I was an English Scout Leader, and did at one time have a beard (Until it went the color of my hair - White!!)

At almost six foot and 165 pound I never thought of myself as being chubby. However Her That Must Be Obeyed, does say that at times I can be cuddly !!

While I think of it most of the English boys thought that the Scout Leaders name was Skip and Bob came in a close second.(This message has been edited by Eamonn)

y'know, now that you mention it - i think most boys's favorite scouters are crosses between Grizzly Adams and Santa Claus!

My friend Scot fit that description, including the beard - as does our current SM - but without the beard.

I think that 'image' appears more approachable from a boy's point of view - or almost anyones, for that matter.

Laura --

And Eamonn for that matter-- I'm thinknig of my venerable old Scoutmaster. He bore absolutely no resemblence to Santa Clause, wasn't big and certainly not cuddly. His name wans't Bob and he didn't even have knowledge of all things Scouting.

He was an eighth grade science teacher who had been a true "red jacket" program guy for many, many years. He looked more like Gandalf without the beard and had silver-grey hair and eyebrows that could scratch the back of his head. You didn't dare talk to him in the morning until he had his coffee and if you were noisy at night you went on a midnight hike until the grey light of dawn appeared. Then it was time to start the breakfast fires.

I love the man to this day. Taught us a lot and is man enough to accept the blame for me joining the professional service of the Boy Scouts of America in 1988.

I hope the guy lives forever. If his body doesn't, I'll make sure his spirit does . . .

DS

Circumstantial evidence points it out and I know it is the BSA manuals somewhere (Bob White can you help me out?) but I don't have them with me - All SMs and ASMs must be at a minimum 20 - 30 lb overweight (aka Chubby & Cuddly).

Not sure if that policy is in place in other parts of the world.

Dave - you haven't been camping with us! our Adult patrol motto is "what's for dessert?!" We are always trying to prove to the boys that you can have GREAT meals on campouts!

Besides - when the boys start complaining about how long a bike ride / hike is and how hot / tired they are - I can always point out "are you going to be out done by a 40 yr old fat lady?" Stops the complaints in their tracks.

( oh my aching knees!) LOL!