Narraticong,

Scout Spirit is left to the SM. The other requirements are just that, requirements. If over a two year period a boy only spent half a week at summer camp and then came home to go on a family vacation, he does not qualify to be on the ballot. If he only has 14 nights of camping over a two year period, he doesn't qualify anymore than if he was only one requirements away from being 1st class. Now.....can an SM fudge the facts to an election team? Yes he could. Hopefully he wouldn't. The SM's job is to first verify that a boy meets the minimum requirements and then consider whether he thinks his adherence to the Oath and Law is examplery (sp?) enough (Scout Spirit) to be placed on the ballot. That is a huge descertionary point left to the SM, but the requirements are the requirements.

I am as much aware of the "rules" as anyone. It seems many are guilty of looking at OA membership as a "reward" more than as a challenge. Once again, the requirements are intended to determine those who will be an asset to the Order. If extenuating circumstances would keep a Scout from being eligible by a narrow margin, and if he would clearly be an asset, I would have no problem adhering to the spirit of the requirement rather than the letter. OA membership is not a rank or merit badge. In those cases I agree the requirements must be met as written.

In the end, it is all no more than a game.

Ken

First, rules are different for Scouters than for Scouts - I'm addressing the Scouts here.

The easily defined rules should not be bent - days/nights camping. The subjective "rules" should be left to those who are entrusted to make them. The boys election makes some questionable selections, just like adults do in our political elections, but once elected - they are now candidates.

I think we should "sell" the OA more as a service organization than an honorary organization. It is both - but for many, service comes a distant second.

Narritacong: "Once again, the requirements are intended to determine those who will be an asset to the Order."

I disagree. A boy simply has to meet the listed requirements as a minimum and the SM considers his Scout Spirit to be placed on the ballot to be voted on by his peers. Any youth elected is accepted by the OA with no questions asked about whether he is an asset or not.

Adults on the other hand are nominated and the Lodge reviews their nomination and decides whether or not to accept them based on being an asset to the Order.