There are no official guidelines of which I am aware. Here is what I suggest:

Save all membership records at the family and unit level forever.

Both the unit and the scout's family should maintain complete advancement records. I suggest to new parents that they purchase a three ring binder and get the plastic pages that baseball card collectors use. All your blue cards, membership cards, OA membership cards, training cards, and rank advancement cards will fit nicely in that. Save all of them. Forever, or at least until the eagle rank is received.

The unit should preserve training records for its adult leadership (anyone over 18).

The treasurer should maintain files of bank statements, and statements of individual scout accounts if the unit holds funds for each scout. I would probably discard any such records more than ten years old.

Separate files should be set up for major outings. These are valuable resources for planning future activities. These files should contain the permits obtained, menus, and information about other special requirements (e.g., bear canisters, special training required, transportation, etc.) We also ask the outing leaders to submit a roster of attendees, including nights camping, miles hiked, and miles biked for each outing to the advancement coordinator. This report should include a statement concerning major injuries, if any, and how these were handled. If there were no major injuries, the report should state that.

Likewise, separate files might be desirable for meeting activities, particularly if you think you might repeat certain events in the future. Saves re-inventing the wheel.

Correspondence files of letters of recommendation and letters regarding disciplinary actions should be maintained, probably for ten years.

A real lawyer can advise you further, but these suggestions probably exceed any legal requirements.