anyone been to NLS?

I attended NLS at Scouter Mtn. Portland Or in 1981 as a youth. It was one of the best experiences I've ever had in Scouts. I believe thay have since changed the course since then but I've heard good things about the current course. If for no other reason the fellowship with your brothers should make it worthwhile.

I went to one in 1982 as a learner bee. I was paired as a staffer with the current Southern Region president. I haven't been to one since. I don't think the impact or "wow" factor has changed since.

To this day, I would have to say that NLS was one of the most intense Scout training events that I have participated in or staffed.

I would encourage you to go also, even if I'm not aware of the current syllabus/curriculum.

I went to NLS this past April. It was the best Training I've been to, in my opinion. I like that it's Boy Scout training, but it's more based on corporate leadership--stuff you can use in the "real world." My other training (Powderhorn, OA LLD, and Conclave, junior Leader training in the Troop, and SM training) all were 99% focused on the BSA and how to be a leader in Boy Scouting (or the OA). NLS could pretty much be used anywhere, with only tiny alterations. I think that's what I liked about it the most.

I'd go if I were you...

No I have not attended.

OJ, (My son) went a couple of years back.

The course was at Camp Alpine in NJ.

He enjoyed the course a lot.

He seemed to get a lot from it.

He was 16 at the time.

Eamonn.

Right, its not about me. Its about my son, 16, who is up and coming in the lodge. Hes considering running for Chief next year. He loves the OA and has taken on many great things Scouting has made available to him as an older Scout. Im hoping I can take at least one more Arrowman as well to spread the experience. I guess Im looking for some fodder to help justify the cost, the drive, the weekend away from the family. Juggling the troops camping schedule to accommodate. Its the usual issues, the wife wonders where my priorities are!