i have looked at plans for alot of chuck boxes - but last weekend we saw a troop with what looked like rubbermaid ( or another brand) small cabinets on wheels. i want to say they were either gray or green w/ red - plastic - about 3-4' high, looked like two doors on the front? kinda like a deck box.

has anyone seen these? know who makes them / where to get them? are they really expensive?

I'm thinking that these may be easier to keep clean than the wooden ones, and lighter, too. Wood is SO heavy.

Any idea where these are from?

laura

They sound like the Action Packers. One of our troops here uses them. The plastic's lighter than wood, and they do have wheels it's true, but they also have their limitations.

We built boxes out of lighter wood, and like them very much.

KS

thanks for the WB - i missed you guys!

had a problem with my antivirus program - for some reason it doesn't like this site and I can't get in with it on - go figure!

so I shut it off when I'm here and i get to visit with you all again!

on those "Action packers", any idea who makes them? i've tried Rubbermaid and Suncast websites and can't find them. Suncast makes something similar - it might work - kind of a tough plastic garden caddy for the patio - about $70 - k-mart sells it.

We need to do something, our patrol boxes are a disaster - but can't get everyone to make up their minds. - some want to go back-pack light - some want full size boxes with legs - but they are way too heavy - esp for the younger boys.

so we're still brainstorming.

I've evolved to a few pretty small plastic tubs with lids. Used to use larger ones but they're harder to pack in the van and cause wasted space. Plus, if you limit the container size you can get away with a lot less than you think. Just THINK before you leave.

Recent addition to the plan is an inventory list taped to the inside of the lid, and lid/tub crossreference numbers in paint pen. Helps the scouts sort out and check contents when coming home, and speeds up packing going out. We use yellow stickies to note deficiencies that need to be corrected before the next trip, or if something is pulled for another service between trips.

There's usually also a small emergency ration box in the van too - it has the makings for an extra campfire treat (cobbler or such) and a few other goodies, on the off chance that we run out of food or have spare time. As far as I can recall, we've never used it ourselves but we did donate some makings to another troop that came lightly prepared.

Julia