I am a DL in a Pack that has not historically taken part in the Popcorn Sales Fundraiser. I am not exactly sure why but "it is what it is". I think that I would like to advocate for our Pack taking part in it this year....basically for 2 reasons, first, I want us to do our part in helping our Council/District financially and, second, I want to start planning for my Bears to attend Webelos Resident Camp next summer. The cost is around $150 per camper and I know this will be difficult for some of my Scouts. Am I correct in that Popcorn sales can offset the costs of camp?

My wife will be willing to lead this effort for our Pack if the Pack leadership chooses go this route. From what little I know about Popcorn Sales I believe she will do a good job....basically, she is very organized and is not scared to call somebody for money LOL.

Can I get some thoughts on what makes a good popcorn campaign "great"? Thanks.(This message has been edited by AlamanceScouter)

How your Pack allocates its share of the profits from your Council popcorn sale is a matter for the Pack Committee. I do not think it unreasonable for the Committee to decide that for every dollar profit brought in by a Cub, 25 cents can be allocated by the Pack to reduce his fees for Scout Camp.

The actual number is variable; these are just my thoughts.

A percentage of the popcorn money does come back to the troop. What that money goes towards is up to the committee.. Alot of Packs & Troops do set up accounts for the scouts for using in Scout related activities (Like camp, other events, or equipment they may need to purchase.) Others split the money some going to scout, some going to the unit.. Some use all the money for the Unit.. Personnally I have already found the more that benefits the Scout, the more participation over and above the "required amount" you will see.. So definately prepare to argue for the boys to get a large percentage of the profit the Pack receives.

Our Son always went to two weeks of camp while in Boy Scouts.. we would pay for one week with his Troop. He would pay for his provisional camp out of popcorn fund raising..

The Hike-a-thon participation also gives money to the boy for camp.. And if the boy participates in both these fund raiser they could apply for a campership if they still are struggling. At least with our council, you had better have a good reason for not participating in raising your own funds before going for a campership. they look at what you raised, what the difference is, and may not give you the total amount, but give you a % of the difference you have left in order to help.

It depends on how the Pack finances are set up. Most packs just dump the money in the general fund and everyone uses it.

We just switched to individual scout accounts and created a Budgeted amount per scout. So once the budget amount for the pack is met then the rest of the money belongs to the boy. Our plan and account info is in writing and parents do not have to participate. Write a single check for the budgeted amount.

Remember a scout pays his own way.