parking cars for a fundraiser...

"But it's all pretty funny grey zone. I expect most of us advise Eagle candidates to wear their uniform when workin' on a project"

It is probably true, and also incorrect to do so. If you look at the Advancement Policies and Procedures you will learn that the project is done "outside the sphere of Scouting".

Nowhere in the BSA program is it suggested or instructed for the candidate to wear the Scout uniform during the project. It is also specifically prohibited for him to wear the uniform when soliciting funds for another organization.

His work is as a volunteer for a school, church, or community organization, and is recocognized by the BSA toward the rank requirement. But again it is "done outside the sphere of scouting" and as such it would not make the wearing of the uniform appropriate for the candidate.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"Show me chapter & verse where it says it can't."

"Clause 8 All adges and insignia of the BSA shall be used eclusively by memberso fhe BSA . . ."

"Clause 9. All badges and insignia shll remain the property of the BSA .. . ."

Doesn't matter if you signed an agreement or not, BSA owns the marks and can set their own rules.(This message has been edited by Gold Winger)

It's sad that we need specific quotes from Boy Scout literature to prove points.

As an adult leader for the Boy Scouts of America I would stop doing something wrong if I was informed it was wrong by a Boy Scout Executive or most of the district volunteers. I would do it because I would want to follow the wishes and desires of the Boy Scouts of America.

Most of the Scouters in my Council are the same way. This is why our annual Fireside Chats with members of the Council Program and Administrative teams are so popular.

Ed, when the jack-booted thugs come to rip the patches off your worn-out shirts, you'll know it then. But just now you don't have to worry about it because they're all so busy amassing on our borders for the invasion.

One time when I was watching CNN, they were talking about rebels in a South American country (can't remember which one) and there was video accompanying it. In the video was a rebel firing his automatic weapon into the sky wearing a Boy Scout Shirt with my council strip on it! Wonder they ever got that guy!

Doesn't matter if you signed an agreement or not, BSA owns the marks and can set their own rules.

Yah, BSA can try to make that claim, eh? But just because someone makes the claim doesn't make it so in the real world.

Scouters should always try to do what's right, of course. But in that same real world, the BSA ain't the arbiter of "right" and "wrong." That's a matter for God, conscience, citizenship, and law. And the BSA has no particular expertise in any of those things, eh? ;)

Personally, I think makin' inflated claims about the scope of trademark "ownership" is just dishonest, and one that is best avoided. Even though special interest lobbies and their attorneys would like it to be otherwise! Just a reminder that da price of Liberty is eternal vigilance.

But I reckon we've once again taken a novice's question and both yelled at him a bit and turned it into a debate, eh? :p

Beavah