When is a Scout NOT permitted to wear his uniform? If there is spefic BSA regulations stating a Scout cannot wear a uniform to raise money for a non-profit group, other than BSA, could someone please give me the info? Thanks so much for your valued time!

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please look on the unit money raising application (I think on the back). There is something on there about not using the uniform to appear as if the BSA endorses a given product, when in fact it does not. Uniforms should also not be used to appear to make BSA endorsements of any given political view or candidate.

You cannot wear your uniform while doing political activities for a particular candidate. Wearing it while doing "Get out and vote" drive would be okay. Wearing it while handing out literature for "Joe Doakes for Prez" isn't.(This message has been edited by Gold Winger)

this is the form that LisaBob mentioned:

http://www.bsa.scouting.org/filestore/pdf/34427.pdf

check page 2

6. If a commercial product is to be sold, will the fund-raising activity comply with BSA policy on wearing the uniform?

The official uniform is intended to be worn primarily for use in connection with Scouting activities. However, council executive boards may approve use of the uniform for any fund-raising activity.

So, the uniform may be used for fund-rasing with the executive boards approval.

To follow-up on somethng else mentioned, I just got this on Friday, Feb 29th about scouts at political rallies.

To: Scout Executives

Marketing & Communications Division Director

Subject: Policy on Scout Participation in Political Events

With the presidential election coming up in 2008, it is a good time to restate the BSAs long-standing policy regarding the participation of Scouts in political rallies and other political events.

Uniformed unit members and leaders may participate in flag ceremonies at political events and may lead the Pledge of Allegiance; however, they should retire after the ceremony and not remain on the speakers platform or in a conspicuous location where television viewers could construe their presence as an endorsement or symbol of support. In addition, photos of candidates or Scouts in uniform or BSA marks and logos are not allowed in political campaign materials of any kind.

Volunteers and professionals must be alert to situations that would imply that the BSA favors one candidate over another. Strict observance of our long-standing policy against the active participation of uniformed Scouts and leaders in political events is mandatory.

Please notify your chartered organizations and unit leaders of this policy

My son is working on Life rank. For the required six hours of community service he wants to raise money for a scoreboard for the town's ballpark. He was told that he can do the project, but cannot wear a uniform when asking for donations, selling beverages or having a rummage sale. It just seemed odd to me that he cannot wear his uniform while performing this community service. Any help is appreciated.

" It just seemed odd to me that he cannot wear his uniform while performing this community service."

That's because the fund raising is not for Scouting but for the service project. Although the service project is Scouting related, the fund raising isn't for Scouting.

I disagree with Ed, wearing the T-shirt would imply that the funds are for Scouting.

Just so I'll be clear in the future. Does this mean that if a scout is working on their Eagle project... say raising funds or material donations to build a bridge on part of the Appalachian Trail, for example. He cannot wear his uniform while out soliciting these funds/materials?

Thanks

Here is why.

The youth is not raising money for scouting nor is the BSA endorsing the organization the money is being raised for, or product he is selling. The scout must have the BSA's permision to use the BSA image, name or symbols, since their use (even on a troop t-shirt) suggests that the BSA is in some way endorsing the other organization, product, or service being sold.

The Scout is not doing a scout project. He is doing a service project for another organization that will be allowed to count toward his Scouting advancement requirements, but it is not a "Scouting" project.

The BSA fundraising policies state that you must have the BSA's permission, via the council scout executive, to be able to use the name, images, or symbols of scouting during any phase of the event.

That means for the scout to raise money for this other organization he can only use that other organizations name. He may not use any scouting logos, scouting name, or reference to scouting during ANY phase of the fundraising visually or verbally. (this includes troop t-shirts).

As for the Eagle project , the BSA advancemnt policies are very specific on this point. The Eagle project is doine "outside the sphere of scouting".

I hope this helps explain it.

BW(This message has been edited by Bob White)

Man are we splitting hairs!

A unit fundraiser (hoagie sale, candy sale, etc.) is to raise money for the unit. The unit being a Troop or Pack or Ship or Crew. All of the participants are BSA members. While raising the money will probably not benefit the district or council, the money is being raised for Scouting at the unit level. I agree the official uniform shouldn't be worn, but see nothing wrong with wearing a unit t-shirt. Do we really think that when that boy knocks on the door & ask Mrs Jones if she wants to buy some candy & she asks who are you selling it for the boy will say "I can't tell you." or do you think he will say "Boy Scout Troop 22 ma'am. We are selling candy to help the boys in our Troop to help oay for camp & replace some old gear with new gear."

Ed Mori

1 Peter 4:10

From the Unit Money-Earning Application (link posted by OldGreyEagle) on the subject of raising funds for other organizations -

"#7 -Will the fund-raising project avoid soliciting

money or gifts?

The BSA Rules and Regulations state, Youth

members shall not be permitted to serve as solicitors

of money for their chartered organizations, for the

local council, or in support of other organizations.

Adult and youth members shall not be permitted

to serve as solicitors of money in support of

personal or unit participation in local, national, or

international events.

For example: Scouts and leaders should not identify

themselves as Scouts or as a troop participate

in the Salvation Armys Christmas Bell Ringing

program. This would be raising money for another

organization."