Donated baseball memorabilia to use for fundraising

I have a co-worker who is the main techie guy for a major league baseball franchise - he helps the players set up their laptops, home networks, etc. He also collects bats, balls, gloves, etc, some signed, some not. He has offered to get some items for me to sell to raise money for our troop, and he knows that the players might donate even more when he tells them its for a Boy Scout troop.

These items, for a collector, may run from $50-500. I'm going to save them up and hold them until our big fundraiser on July 4th, when we put on the parade in our small rural town, and will have a lot of people in attendance.

Question is - I'd like to set minimum prices for the items and do some sort of a silent auction. Now I think I've heard that 'raffles' are not permitted ( or is that a BSA urban legend? ), but are auctions specifically prohibited? ( yes, I can probably ask council but its late and I'm too lazy to go searching through my reference material right now ).

If auctions are not permitted, what suggestions do you have to maximize profit for the troop?

I think the main consideration of a fund raiser is that every customer receives something of value in return for their money. I think auctions would be ok, because the losers don't give up any money. A raffle is a game of chance and considered "gambling". As to pricing the items, do your homework and research similar items in collectors' price guides and on eBay. You may also want to reserve some items for a "kids only" auction, something we do with patch auctions. Most kids can't afford to outbid an adult collector, so make it fun for everyone.

CA_Scouter,

Greetings!

If I may offer my opinion.

A sale of Major League or even Minor League memorabilia may be a good idea for a fund raiser for the Troop.

Taking it from a sale, to a raffle or auction seems to violate BSA policy.

Again... my own thoughts. The Sale is a great idea.. The Auction is not so good an idea.

One of the first requirements is to fill out the Unit Money Earning Application and see if the Chartering Organizations approves and then the council service office approves.

Here is the link to the form.

http://www.scouting.org/forms/34427.pdf

In addition to authorization from your respective local city council, local authorities, and/or your city 4th of July celebration director.

Also, a unit fund raiser should be billed as support Scout Troop number ____ of the ____ city, and not represent the entire BSA. Usually, Boy Scouts are not allowed to wear their complete BSA uniform, and are normally in unit T-shirts or polo's, when soliciting funds for their specific unit.

Following the guidelines in the Money Earning Application should allow you to have a good fund raiser for your Troop's program.

Good Luck!

Scouting Forever and Venture On!

Crew21 Adv

Auctions are allowed as money earning projects. Stonewall Jackson Area Council here in Virginia has an annual auction followed by a wild game dinner- this is a major fund-raiser.

Anything related to gambling is not allowed. This includes raffle tickets, bingo and cakewalks.

Ed