fundraising question

I went to what can loosely be termed "training" this weekend. One thing that we discussed was fundraising, and specifically, the types of fundraising that are typically not acceptable. Our chartered org. has been asking us to conduct a fundraiser for them (they're a well-known service club) and as a committee we've checked with council before to see whether that was acceptable. We've always been told NO. We've been told that we can't fund-raise for any outside organization no matter how worthy, including the Red Cross. We've been told that if we want to fund raise for relief efforts or humanitarian causes, we should donate to the World Organization of Scouting or nationally-organized and recognized BSA efforts.

At the training, a District Director said that this interpretation was incorrect, that units should be expected to help their charter partner with fundraisers, if asked, and that it is perfectly acceptable for scout units to run fundraisers where the profit will be donated to other non-profit groups, as long as there's no moral objection. (he gave an example of a unit chartered through a Catholic Church fundraising for Planned Parenthood as a bad idea in terms of moral objections).

This puts our unit in a position to re-evaluate our decision to offer service, but not fundraising help, to our charter partner. But I was surprised by the DD's interpretation because it runs counter to what I've always heard before.

Can anybody help me sort this out? I'm guessing there's documentation somewhere regarding BSA policy on fundraising for outside groups but I'm not sure where I'd find it. This isn't the same as the rules on the back of the unit money earning form I don't think.

Thanks.

Lisa'bob

My understanding is that you can help your CO (or other non-profit groups) do fundraising. You just can't do it in a scout uniform or under the guise of a scout event. For example, we've helped with clean up at a Rotary Club's pancake breakfast. I don't see anything wrong with that at all. It helps build goodwill in the community.

EagleinKY,

Yes, that sort of thing seems pretty reasonable and could be clearly understood as "service." What our CO has asked us to do in the past is to actually do a fundraiser and give them the money. Like, stand in front of grocery stores and solicit money on their behalf. Another example, the packs in our town tried to organize a joint benefit effort for tsunami victims a little over a year ago, with the idea that we'd donate all proceeds to the Red Cross.

Can we do that? Previously we'd been told no by council professionals, this weekend we were told yes by (other) council professionals.

Lisa'bob

"What our CO has asked us to do in the past is to actually do a fundraiser and give them the money. Like, stand in front of grocery stores and solicit money on their behalf. Another example, the packs in our town tried to organize a joint benefit effort for tsunami victims a little over a year ago, with the idea that we'd donate all proceeds to the Red Cross."

Standing in front of the grocery asking for donations for your CO - Hmmm... Personally, I hate those types of things. I would say that it would be okay only if they were doing it as individuals representing the CO, not Scouts. I can understand the council not wanting scouts standing out in front of store waving a tin cup. That would give a bad impression. And, since most people probably wouldn't pay attention to who it was for, they'd just think the Boy Scouts were out begging.

Joint pack tsunami event - Personally, I can't see any problem with this. Organizing something like a chili supper or a community event to raise money for a disaster relief sounds like a good service to me. As long as you can "draw the line" from donation to recipient and not have one of those celebrity fund-raiser fiascos where no one knows where the money goes.... I don't see the issue with it.

So, I guess I give you one vote for, and one vote against. How's that?

• 2 weeks later...

See now, your last interpretation makes perfect sense to me (and that's where I'd come down, if I had the authority to make these decisions). But what I got was one answer from one professional (both are unacceptable) and a complete different answer from a different professional (both are fine) and now I don't know what the rule is (I thought I did, until the second district professional gave me exactly the opposite answer), but it is apparently NOT common sense! So next time the CO comes to us asking us to fund raise directly for them, I don't know what I'm supposed to say.

Lisa'bob