fundraiser or a service project?

We did a fundraiser the other day that entailed staffing a non-profit recycling center, sorting the stuff people brought in to the center into appropriate bins and where possible, breaking down or compacting those items. In return we received a third of the center's gate receipts (they charge a minimal fee for their service) for the day plus any returnable bottles/cans.

In terms of work hours: we had 8 people at this event, each working 4 hours, plus the time it takes to return the pop bottles, most of which were unusual brands so we have to hunt down stores that will accept them. The boys - esp. the younger ones - had a great time working at the center (who knew stomping on plastic milk cartons could be so exciting!) and everybody is willing to do it again in the future even though we were all cold, wet, and dirty by the end (this occurs outside and the weather was unpleasant).

Grand total we made about $40 for the troop.

I appreciate that money is money and so on, but I'm almost thinking that it isn't worth it to do this event as a fundraiser. Our troop does have several other fundraisers each year that are much more successful and while there are always excellent uses for the money, we're not desperate for cash either. I'm thinking of suggesting to our committee that we continue to participate in the future, but as a troop service project instead.

The advantages I see to counting it as service instead are that a) the boys could use an apparently fun service project toward rank advancement, and b) it sets up a different mind-set. Working that hard for money and then getting such a small return is a bit disappointing; working that hard for service to others almost seems better.

What do you all think?

Lisa'bob

LisaBob, I'm curious to know what the boys think. Will you let us know? Personally I agree with you that this would be much more worthwhile as a service project than a fundraiser. It's nice when the boys have fun, too!

I will suggest that this be brought up at a PLC and let you know what the result is. Unfortunately I doubt it will happen because this is one area where "boy led" tends not to occur; most of the well-established adult leaders in the troop are of the opinion that fundraising and service projects should be arranged by the adults. But I'll bring it up and give it a try.

Lisa'bob

A few years ago we did a project for the Woodstock PD. It involved picking up rocks from an open field so that they could grow grass and make the field look better.

The PD gave us some minimum money for doing this project. However, the Scoutmaster, Advancment Chair, and Treasurer decided that the boys would receive service hours for their work and that the money received would be considered as a donation to the troop and it would go to general funds.

In September our town holds a weekend-long wellness celebration with displays and booths representing four corners of wellness: healthcare (physical, emotional, mental); financial and economic; family, parenting and spiritual; and community solidarity.

Each year our Troop is asked to help unload cars and trucks and help carry materials for those people setting up booths. This is usually takes about 4 hours on the Friday afternoon/evening before the event and we have several Scouts stationed at each entrance to the Mall who then help unload and guide presenters to their booth locations.

We have done this for several years now, usually have gtood participation from the Scouts, and have always counted it toward service hours. We do receive a donation from the Chamber of Commerce for our help which goes to the Troop account, but have never really considered this a fundraising project.