Top Seller - parents or scout?

As far as the Council is concerned, bucks are bucks. They won't really care. What I would NOT do is credit the sales to the scout UNTIL the cash has been turned in. The top seller should be announced based on who has turned in the most CASH as of the deadline date. Coming up with it 3 weeks after the deadline shouldn't count.

Has anybody thought to thank those parents? Maybe it would generate a conversation and put to rest some of the concerns or speculation. Any way you look at it, your Pack is reaping benefits.

IMHO, it's hard to believe that parents would go into that kind of debt, not to mention the work of reselling or gifting, just to get their child's name mentioned. You just might be overlooking a great resource.

Jansennil,

The whole Pack gave this family many thanks for the big sale. The Treasurer and I are the only ones in the Pack who know about the "almost" financial crisis. If they would have turned in the money on time and not bragged that their son set his goal and went out and met that goal, I would have no problem with this situation. (I did wonder, though, if it was okay to re-sell the popcorn. That wasn't a complaint, just a question.) T

Thank you, everyone for all your comments on this situation.

"What is the lesson being learned here? "

There are all kinds of people in this world, big ones, small ones, smart ones, dumb ones, rich ones & poor ones....and we are but humble scout leaders who's main focus should be on providing a quality program for the youth members and don't sweat the small stuff.

$1500 turned in late is small stuff. $1500 not turned in is bigger stuff. How an adult choses to spend his money is very small stuff.

SA