What do you think about this idea?

One of my recent projects as a Committee Member (Advancement Chair) is to develop a troop library - which so far has consisted of some binders of adult leader training materials and a couple dozen MB pamphlets. I've bought some books and donated them. General reference stuff on knot-tying, outdoor cooking, wilderness survival, etc. But while at Amazon.com making a wish list of items for the scouting library I got this idea and wondered what you thought.

We have an outstanding used bookstore in our area that makes really fair deals on book trades. I was thinking about having all our troop families cull their home libraries for books they no longer want or are willing to donate as in-store trade with this bookstore. With the store credit, we could then purchase books for the scout library. I would have the troop librarian (none yet, I've asked that one be appointed) assist me - help me collect and haul books, select the new ones, etc. I was thinking the store might even be willing to give us a better-than-usual trade deal to support scouting.

We could even broaden the book drive to include the Catholic church which charters our troop. Or would it be acceptable to have the boys canvass a neighborhood asking for book donations - kind of like a food or bottle drive?

What do you think?

Charity

(This message has been edited by CharityAK)

I was thinking just a one-time thing to get the library off the ground. Yes, this bookstore has an awesome collection of books appropriate to scouting. This is Alaska afterall...the ultimate outdoors playground. :) After I posted, I read somewhere that there is a policy that an individual must receive something in exchange for their gift to the troop - that a scout is not allowed to ask for a donation. So...I imagine the door to door book donation drive wouldn't work? But is it acceptable to solicit donations (discarded books) within troop families and the charter organization?

Charity

It is definately acceptable to ask your troop's families for donations of old unused books. You should obviously check with your charter partner before asking members of the parish to give, but they'll probably okay it as well.

As for the door-to-door solicitation, ask your District Executive. It will probably be okay -- although most councils face possible sanctions from the United Way during this time of year for any sort of fundraising, I doubt a donor would call the United Way or refuse to give because they gave some old books to the Boy Scouts.

I'm not even sure I would call it a fundraiser since you're trying to turn some old Harold Robbins novels into merit badge pamphlets ;)

DS