Is wine tasting an appropriate fundraiser?

I am fascinated by how people know where the money comes from. I donate to several charities and have for years. No one has ever asked what I did to raise the money. I have done over a hundred FOS presentations at troops that raised over $4000 in pledges at a single presentation, and not once has anyone ever said "you know I got that money gambling". I have never even considered asking a $250 donor "now you don't gamble or sell drugs do you?" Businesses donate tens if not hundreds of thousands of dollars to our council and I know for a fact they have never been questioned as to how the funds were obtained, and I'll bet you don't ask either.

If a school PTO does numerous fundraisings over the years and all the money goes into one checking account, just how in the world do you determine which dollars in the check they gave your scout unit came from the raffle, and which came from refreshment sales at the open house?

I know of a police department that used confiscated drug money, given them by the court, to purchase bullet proof vests for their police officers. Do you really see that as tainted? You think churches in Vegas question each donor as to how that dollar in the collection basket came about?

Shouldn't we be more concerned about how the money is used and how we earned it, not how the people donating earned it. Who on your committee has the truly awful job of following up on the source of all your donors income?

Bob White

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand what you are saying Bob, but I just cant reconcile in my head a poster that reads

"Wine Tasting Party"

All Proceeds to benefit

(Fill in the Blank) Area Council

Boy Scouts of America

(Insert BSA Logo Here)

Charactor Counts!

Bob,

Not sure if you comments were directed to me or not. My posts were not condeming the acceptance of donations, just pointing out some interesting situations.

I mostly agree with your statement that we (Scouters) should be more interested in how the money is used and not where it came from. However, not all cases are so cut and dried.

Any organization that portends to be value based has some sticky wickets to contend with. Take the case of alcohol and the BSA. I know what the BSA policy is with regards to alcohol. Scouters and the public at hand can view that policy in many ways. One may view it as condemning the use of alcohol. Other may view it as simply a practical tool to use to prevent intoxication of individuals who work with our youth. Let's say Anheuser-Busch donates a couple million to the BSA. My view, I think that would be grand! Others may look at that donation as tainted and I respect their position. Another hypothetical case I would find very interesting would be if the Triangle Foundation of Michigan made a sizable donation to our local Council. I think that would be great too. Others would be appalled if the Council accepted the donation.

Consider this then OGE

A printed invitation sent to business leaders in the community that says

Smith Winery of Napa Ca. invites you to attend an evening of music and wine tasting at the Smith residence on El Rancho Rd. Formal Dress is recommended. Cost is $250 per couple. All proceeeds benefit the scouting program of the ABC Valley Council of the Boy Scouts of America.

Hiriam Smith, Chairman and CEO of Smith Wines and a long time member of the ABC Valley Council Executive Committee will be your host.

Well Bob, I guess its OK when reasonable men (!, ? and sic!) disagree, while you write a lovely invitation, I still cant see it any more than if Hiram Smith was CEO Of RJ Reynolds and the activty was a cigar sampling

(and the real interesting thing is, I do on occasion indulge in an adult beverage and smoke)(This message has been edited by OldGreyEagle)

OK OGE but RJ Reynolds also makes crackers and cheese. If the Pres wanted to do a craker barrel at $50 bucks a head are you going to refuse the money since they also make cigarettes? Will you refuse to sell popcorn or take FOS pledges from RJ Reynolds employees because they help to manufacture cigarettes and the money they use comes from the sales of tobacco products?

Bob

Ok, I submit, As Annheiser-Busch also owns Eagle Snacks, perhaps BSA should just accept any legally earned money.

I just hope no one is issued a DUI or is in an accident comming home from such a soiree

Just a side note, would wine tasting be an acceptable fundraiser for MADD?

Wow! For such a by-the-book guy you really amaze me, Bob. Wine tasting OK for a Scout fundraiser? Then why not magazine sales that sell Playboy? Or tobacco sales? And while we're at it! let's get the Mob involved & we can really clean up!

Ed Mori

Scoutmaster

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

After reading everyone's posts in the thread, I'm glad that we're all in agreement that alcohol, spirits, or beer is not appropriate even though it isn't really specified in BSA's fundraising guidlines.

" The Boy Scouts of America prohibits the use of alcoholic beverages and controlled substances at encampments or activities on property owned and/or operated by the Boy Scouts of America, or at any activity involving participation of youth members."

That may have to be amended and the only way to do that is send it up the chain.

I have to agree also with BW its how the money is used and not where it came from. I do have reservations about this but like anything else, I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

thanks,

Matua

(This message has been edited by matuawarrior)

No, we're not all in agreement.

Have any of you been to a wine tasting? The few I've been to, no one wore a toga, got drunk or went home with some else's wife.

For most of these things, drinking wine is not the focus. Some of them have an expert or representative of the winery talk about their wines. Most are "wine tasting" in name only -- simply fund raising parties serving any variety of food and drink. (If we served exactly the same menu but called it a cheese tasting, would you feel better?) They are often sponsored by a restaurant or club which uses the event as a promotion. Part of the agenda usually involves a silent auction and/or a raffle (gasp!)

I'm no big drinker. I'd be surprised if I average two drinks in a month. But I don't understand why some folks seem to think consumption of a glass of wine by consenting adults is immoral or inappropriate in the context of an adults-only Scout function. If a wine tasting isn't appropriate for your unit, fine! Don't have one. Frankly, I don't think the church that charters my unit would be thrilled with the idea. But that's a decision WE get to make.

BSA guidelines are very clear -- not on BSA property (I'm sure liability was the concern there) and not in front of the children for obvious reasons. If they mean no alcohol at any Scout-related function, the policy would say so.(This message has been edited by Twocubdad)

"or at any activity involving participation of youth members".

I am confused about something here.

What would your boys be doing during this wine tasting fundraiser?

Our boys run our fundraisers. It's their troop. They're the ones that need the money, not me.

Aren't they supposed to be earning their own way?

We make suggestions, but the PLC votes on which ones they will do, what they will serve, and who will work when.

Are you really helping the boys by running ANY fundraiser without them, especially one that includes alcohol?