Just a suggestion on how and where to obtain "climbing" type ropes. If you have tree companies in your area (those folks who climb the trees to do maintenance and takedowns) you might try to make contact with them regarding their old unusable ropes. The better companies replace their climbing ropes after a certain period of time as a safety concern. Ropes get worn and questionable for climbing use, and need to be replaced. An old climbing rope with an original length of 120-180 feet will still have sufficient length to cut into teaching ropes.

Another potential source for used climbing rope for knot tying practice is the fire department or a USAR (Urban Search and Rescue) team if there is one in your area. Because our rope is used for rescue and rescue training purposes we regularly and frequently rotate rope to out-of-service status for life-safety reasons. I can say that in our case, we would be happy to see it put to such a good use. The original lengths as we use it range from 100 to 300 feet. The only stipulation would be that we would cut it to your prescribed lengths so that we know it can't be used for climbing, rappelling, etc. (liability reasons). It is also still useable as "utility" rope around camp.

Funny story --

It is possible to teach Scouts knots TOO well. A buddy of mine that I grew up with enlisted in the Navy. While at boot camp, his knowledge of knots got him into a bit of trouble.

When they had their knot-tying session (one of many, I'm sure,) he showed up with his bowline already tied. The instructor caught him and called him to the front of the room, made him untie it and yelled at him while he was at ease. He tied the knot again behind his back!

He got a lot of push ups for that one. :)

DS

KNOT TRIVIA FROM THE MOVIES

In the original film JAWS, Robert Shaw as the skipper of the Orca throws Richard Dreyfuss a length of line and barks at him to tie a Sheepshank knot. Dreyfuss ties the knot and throws it back to Shaw who looks at it and grudgingly accepts it. The problem? Dreyfuss did not tie a Sheepshank. What knot did he tie?

Get those VCRs rolling and let us know what you see.

Bob White(This message has been edited by Bob White)