"As for the fear of campouts, I suggest you find some evidence that abuse has happened on campouts before you assume that is an easy opportunity. Ive never heard of a scout being abused by a sexual predator on a scouting activity. It might have happened, but I would expect camping is probably a pretty safe place from predators. "

A 20 minute search with Google finds a couple cases of sexual abuse on campouts. Ed Dyer, Oregon. Peter Stibal, Minnesota.

Patrick Boyle points out from the Washington Times article that, "Camping trips - in many people's eyes the essence of Scouting - are the most popular places for Scout leaders to have sexual relations with boys."

=== EDIT ===

I've noticed that my SS has missed the last two camping trips, just because he wanted "down time".(This message has been edited by Engineer61)

A 20 minute search with Google finds a couple cases of sexual abuse on campouts. Ed Dyer, Oregon. Peter Stibal, Minnesota.

Yah, except in both of those cases, da abuse on campouts only happened after a long stretch of abuse which occurred outside of Scouting events - at the man's home, at the parents' home, at trips to movies, on "private" outings, etc. The overwhelming majority in fact. Da campout abuse was trivial by comparison, often with inadequate proof to bring criminal charges. Da only reason mentions of possible abuse on campouts came out was because it's only that abuse that typically yields high value cash settlements. :p

Patrick Boyle is a reporter who is sellin' books for profit. That's information, and his book is an interestin' (and appalling) read, but it's largely anecdotal information from interviews with a small group of folks, selected and "spun" to make good copy. Don't confuse it with research.

I believe his essential conclusion is correct, but not sufficiently broad. To avoid abuse, children need a life that is supportive and emotionally sound, so that they don't need to seek support from one exclusive individual who can monopolize that support and make 'em dependent on it. They need parents (plural), grandparents, uncles, aunts, teachers, scout leaders, coaches, ministers. A lad who has multiple, caring, emotionally-supportive adults in his life can't fall under the thrall of any single individual who can manipulate da relationship.

On this day of Thanksgiving, be Thankful for those many people that care about kids and provide da love and support that none of us, even the best of parents, can provide on our own. I remember Mrs. Rittaco, John Patrick, Coach Jones, Dr. Johnston, Rev. Novicky, Uncle Jim, Aunt Catherine, Mr. Maguire, Scouter Meyerson, .... and on and on... they kept me safe from predators and drugs, because with their love and support I never needed those things. Some are gone to their reward, others I've lost touch with over da decades. But for each and every one of 'em, I remain eternally Thankful.

Would that all children had such people in their lives. Rest assured that in da decades ahead, though yeh may never hear from 'em personally, many a scout will be saying a quiet prayer of thanksgiving for the part each of you on these forums played in their lives. Keepin' 'em safe, just by your love and support, and reflecting into their eyes da image and likeness of the Great Scoutmaster, to whom we are all Thankful.

Beavah