scouting on the rise

I have never been involved in any of these School Units.

A friend of mine worked in a boarding school in the UK which had a Troop within the school, kinda along the lines of a school club. Another friend was involved in a School Troop in a special needs school in the UK and a nephew in Ireland belonged to a Troop which was part of the school he attended.

One problem I have noticed is that there seems to be separation from what goes on at school and what goes on in Scouts.

Much as maybe the adults seem to want to let their hair down, they seem unable to do so, knowing that they will return to the classroom and deal with the Scouts as students.

Some private schools and academies here in the USA do have Scouting programs. I've never had any dealings with them, only read the ads that used to be in Scouting Magazine.

While I do believe that every boy should have the opportunity to join a Troop, I wonder if a Troop of well heeled kids from well to do families, with little or no chance of less privileged children ever being able to join, is such a good thing?

As it is now we are seen as being an organization for white, kids from middle class homes.

Eamonn.

• 3 weeks later...