I've been using ideas from this forum in my Troop. Things I can attribute to these discussions include:

I now have three other leaders. Almost unheard of here. And Scouting is fun again for me.

We have a camp plan that goes out 12 months. Dates, places and coordinating leaders all charted out in Jan.

We have had a stuffed toy mascot touring the USA since Feb last year.

We have a web site.

I have a QM who is 14. I created the position to fit the boy who was a PL refugee from another Troop. Again not a norm in Aus. Even had to make a special badge for him.

The other leaders have clear jobs with sunset clauses.

The group parent committee has been chosen. They just don't know it yet.

My Troop is a safe haven. Another recent post describes this.

I have several BSA manuals and the collection is growing. The information will be used when my camp library gets going.

I ran an info session for parents in Feb to explain the ideals and methods of Scouting. The CM was so impressed he then ran a similar night for the Pack.

My advancement, investiture and promotion ceremonies are fairly elaborate and include Aboriginal culture and icons (with their permission).

On promotion each PL gets a hand made pennant from me which they keep.

We are planning a formal dinner for the end of year.

There is more variety in our program than ever before.

All these things and more I owe to this forum. Thanks again.

Ozemu,

I too would like you to know that you are as valued member in this forum. I have definitely enjoyed your posts.

Somewhere along the way you may have described this, but I missed it. But is Scouting in Australia under the auspices of the BSA? Not a problem either way, just curious.

Congrats on an improving program. You should be proud of your boys (and girls if you have them)!

Mark

Thanks everyone

Scouting in Australia is known as Scouts Australia and answers to WOSM just as BSA does.

I have just under 50% girls. Trying to get more to keep things even.

The mascot idea was from Girl Scouts / Girl Guides. They are big into it. It's normally an exchange. We sent ours on a tour. See our site: http://www.lis.net.au/~emu/ and a web search will be profitable.

Like most of you I suppose our prayers each meeting normally include reference to the international situation. Interestingly the Scouts normally ask that war be averted as it is a bad thing generally but they are not vehement anti-Iraq war statements. I might ask them what they think is happening and why. The messages from the media aren't helping them much.

"Scouting in Australia is known as Scouts Australia and answers to WOSM just as BSA does."

Hi ozemu,

I gotta say that is a new one on me. In what way does the BSA answer to WOSM. I know we are a member of the World Organization of the Scout Movement. But I don't know that they hold actual authority over any country's program do they? I always understood that it was an international association of member countries that help promote the scouting program on an international scale and assists countries in developing a scouting program, but I don't think they have any authority over the various national programs.

Bob White

Thanks Dan, was away again.

Maca's are native to here! That is why we have a Bauple nut on our scarf badge. The mac was taken to Hawie, Hawia (?) and selectively bred. Then it came back and is grown everywhere in our area.

The site was really intended for the koala and her hosts.

eisely I don't think the pics are very good at the moment. The Troop has a disposable and it takes a few months to finish the film. A few given by parents too but the delay is long and I'm trying to keep things current.

Thanks again everyone.