Fun and Games on Cable

Am I the only one here that finds the back and forth between FOX and MSNBC to be like a comedy show? If one says it is black, the other immediately says white. It is good to be able to see Tavis, and a few like him to help sort things out. Of course, on occasion there appears to be a tiny bit of "rational" discussion here and there in local papers.

Just another observation.

American political discourse has always been contentious, but the advent of cable news networks looking for material to broadcast 24 hours a day has basically killed any mature and civil discussion that used to exist. Talk radio and the interent has not helped matters any as they don't have to live up to any editorial standards and can pretty much spout anything the want. And before someone accuses me of being a screaming liberal.....which I'm not.....my comments cover both ends of the spectrum.

I think its interesting that msnbc decided to hitch its wagon on the proposition that "We're not Fox!" This only helps both networks, because viewers will be drawn to one or the other based on which one makes them cringe the least (I prefer CNN myself). Both should be watched with an informed mind and taken with a grain of salt.(This message has been edited by sherminator505)

The last PEW research study that I'm aware of counted more minutes of Liberal commentary on FOX than Conservative commentary on ABC, CBS, NBC, and MSNBC combined. Lou Dobbs is really growing on me...

Sorta reminds me why Liberal talk radio can't compete. On radio you have to be able to explain and defend your ideas against facts and logic.

Joe Bob:

I would love to see a link for that as I can't find it on Pew's site or anywhere on the web.

Seems that it would be a difficult thing to quantify since whether content is liberal, conservative or neutral. I would hope that most is neutral as most news is not political. Hard to say that a mine cave-in is liberal or a bridge collapse is conservative (though some will find away).

Hal

Hal,

The bridge collapse story becomes political when news goes directly into the "failed national bridge inspection program which was underfunded by the xyz administration for the past abc years." Listen to the same story on Fox and MSNBC - it's pretty common to see the spin.

We're becoing a nation of whining scouts always running directly to the SM to fix all of our problems. It would be refreshing to hear the President say, "I don't know - go ask your Governor (Patrol Leader)." As we try to teach the boys in scouts, problems are best worked at the lowest possible level.

My blood boils every time I hear about that bridge collapse! The state knew about that bridge FOR YEARS, and an awful lot of Democrats, Republicans, and independents (yes, Jesse the Body is as much to blame as anyone) IGNORED it. I have seen slides showing STRAIN GAGES on the bridge, so THEY KNEW! And guess what?! The Interstate system turned 50 in 2006 and a lot of those bridges, which are designed for a 50 year design life, are now 50 years old. And still, the powers that be continue to IGNORE this! And so does the media! Incredible!

There, I'm better now.