retirement planning

If you had purchased $1000.00 of Nortel stock one year ago, it would now be worth $49.00.

With Enron, you would have had $16..50 left of the original $1000.00.

With WorldCom, you would have had less than $5.00 left.

If you had purchased $1000 of Delta Air Lines stock, you would have $49.00 left.

But, if you had purchased $1,000.00 worth of beer/wine one year ago, drank all the beer/wine, then turned in the cans/bottles for the aluminum and glass recycling REFUND, you would have had $214.00.

Based on the above, the best current investment advice is to drink heavily and recycle.

I had to check the date on the above posting, because I swear it could have been written in 2001 :)

That was back when I learned that 401K money probably isn't best invested in company stock, but I had to learn that the hard way.

gwd interesting choice of stocks. But for retirement planning very poor choices. No financial planner worth their salt would have recommended those 4 stocks as part of a retirement portfolio the past few years. Enron has been in trouble for years, and airlines way too volatile. As a CPA with a tax practice and a CFP you never look at 1 year returns. You look at 3,5 and 10 year returns, as retirement planning is long term.

401 keg, good one Hal.

The best retirement planning advice I can give is to either (1) win the lottery or (2) inherit a lot of money (which basically amounts to the same thing.) Of course, in my case I don't even play (1) and know of no prospects for (2)... but it's still the best advice. :)

Most of us are going to work until we die. The trick will be to do something we enjoy. I guess, instinctively I've always known that would be my fate.

I also like the 401 keg line. I'll mention that to the students...see if it's like totally retro/sketchy. I mean like duuuuuuh...what-ev-er!