Stupid is as Stupid does

Several things here.

1. This is the type person who is teaching our youth in an institution of higher learning?

2. This person, qualified to teach as a professor, is dumb enough to brag about his illegal actions on the web?

November 04, 2008

Professor ousted after tearing down McCain yard signs

The St. Olaf (Northfield, Minn.) professor who, in a well-read Huffington Post item, recounted tearing down McCain campaign signs has resigned.

Per the Northfield News, it appears that Philip Busse was forced out.

St. Olaf spokesman David Gonnerman issued the following statement Monday afternoon:

"The St. Olaf College administration first learned of Phil Busse's self-admitted theft and destruction of campaign signs on the morning of Oct. 31 as a result of his posting on the Internet.

"The St. Olaf administration immediately referred the matter to local law enforcement authorities and commenced an investigation of its own.

"Mr. Busse has tendered his resignation and is no longer affiliated with St. Olaf College.

Busse has been charged with misdemeanor theft.

And... closer to my home, more theft, from an Atlanta-Journal Constitution employee...

DeKalb County police have issued two arrest warrants for an Atlanta Journal Constitution newspaper delivery person, charging her with stealing John McCain campaign signs.

According to police reports, Sunday Harrell, 47, of Dunwoody, has been charged with two misdemeanors - theft by taking and criminal trespassing. As of Monday, Harrell had not turned herself in, and police were looking to serve her personally with the warrants.

According to investigators, representatives from the Atlanta Journal Constitution researched the incident after being informed of the police inquiry, and suspended, and later fired Harrell after she confessed to at least one theft.

Mary Dugenski, the director of communications at the AJC, confirmed that, after being informed of Harrells alleged actions, she was suspended and later terminated.

As a result of the internal investigation, the employee was terminated, Dugenski said. We are continuing to cooperate with the police, but now consider this to be a criminal investigation.

(This message has been edited by a staff member.) (This message has been edited by a staff member.)

***Rumor alert***

An individual informed me earlier this week of a local townsperson who had tired of having the campaign signs in his yard defaced, destroyed or stolen who wired four car batteries together (48 volts - current dependent on many factors) and wired them to his yard signs.

Supposedly at least one person ATTEMPTED to continue defacing this persons signs. And was questioned at the hospital.

***Rumor alert ends***

I like to tell folks that "PhD" frequently stands for "piled higher and deeper." Having academic credentials is no guarantee that someone will not suddenly develop a bad case of stupidity as regards their actions outside the classroom. (Let's be fair though. I know plenty of folks in all sorts of walks of life who may or may not be highly skilled in their chosen profession, but who are idiots in practically all other aspects of life. This is hardly related to the guy being a professor.)

After what the people of Northfield did to Jesse James and gang, I'd say that he got off lightly with a resignation.

I agree with LisaBob, I survey our faculty and I see a few hotheads, capable of incredibly bad choices under the wrong circumstances. The school handled it well up there.