Why do people switch parties?

thus demonstrating again the power of religion to bring us all together....NOT!

I guess this may actually be a lesson on the similarity between political ideology and religious ideology. Substitute 'sect' or 'denomination' for 'party' and it seems to work about the same.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Scout

First of all ethnocentrism is a commonly used word in anthropology and sociology it is not meant as an insult, rather it is a way certain people perceive and interpret the world around them. Secondly, I was raised a Roman Catholic most of my life and left it during my graduate studies in theology where I learned just how many doctrines of the Catholic Church were just not true, twisted truths, and had no basis in scripture. I chose to leave the Catholic faith and to those who are loyal to it, fine by me, just don't try to pull that nonsense of it being the only true church created by Christ and leading to eternal salvation, because that is nothing more than a false teaching and outright lie, and any other Christian would have to agree. If you want to brand me anti Catholic fine but a religious bigot is just not true, before you accuse understand the meaning of your insult Scout.(This message has been edited by BadenP)

No insult sir, just making a statement.

You called Catholic doctrine "poppycock" and accused Catholics of "blindly following false doctrines."

This is not the first time you have attacked Roman Catholicism on therse forums. Maybe not a true bigot but your hatred for the one true faith is evident.

I guess I'll answer my own question about changing my party affiliation:

"Obama scares many older Americans because he wants to make drastic changes in our government and these older people want to hold on to the way things are."

What scares me is four more years of the way things are.

Like BadenP posted, I've also made the observation that younger people tend to be more liberal and become more conservative as they get older. For me, when I registered to vote for the first time in 1976, I registered as a democrat. My parents were democrats and I didn't pay much attention to politics outside of the nightly dinner table.

I cast my ballot for Jimmy Carter and moved out on my own. I got a job, paid taxes, bought a house and a car, and entered the adult world. I began to pay more attention to politics, listen to speeches and read the news when elections came around. Wasn't too happy with the Carter years (I naively thought the gas lines were solely his fault), so I decided I was most definitely a republican and voted for Reagan. Only the first time though. Still, I wasn't sure I wanted to align myself with democrats either so I declared myself an independent.

I've never been a fan of George Bush but I wasn't exactly delighted to vote for Al Gore in 2000. Again in 2004 it wasn't so much that I was voting for Kerry, but against George Bush.

This year I am proudly back to declaring myself a democrat. Growing up, as election years rolled around, I remember listening to my parents talk about their candidates with excitement. I've never felt that way in any year I've voted. Sure I supported a candidate, but never with an real sense of excitement. Voting merely to cast a vote AGAINST someone rather than FOR someone was dissatisfying.

Living in South Carolina I know I'm among the minority in my choice this year for President and that my vote will be overcast by republican votes. In essence, I know my vote won't count. This is the first time I've been excited about voting and supporting a candidate. Apart from his political views, which I mostly agree with, Obama has stirred a sense of optimism in me and a restored faith in our future. I hear all the comments that he is just a empty suit that can make lofty speeches. I don't agree with that assessment, but even if I did, I've been so underwhelmed by our choices in leaders for so long that without knowing anything else about him I've been waiting for Obama to run for President since I heard his speech at the convention in 2004.

People look at me incredulously when I tell them I support Obama. You see, I'm one of those middle aged, middle class, white woman that couldn't possibly vote for him. According to the pundits, I either should have supported Clinton because she's a woman or support McCain because only the republicans share my values.

Bring on election day. I can't wait!

GWD put this in the wrong thread, she put this post in the 'Back to switching parties' Thread, respond there, OGE

(This message has been edited by a staff member.) (This message has been edited by a staff member.)

GWD, I feel your pain. (I just love writing that ;)) Anyway, back during the Carter years my wife and I were graduate students. Our combined income was about $8,000. We were naive and idealistic enough to actually start a family. Sometimes I look back and just shake my head in wonder.

After Reagan I and the shenanigans pulled by the Republicans, I idealistically volunteered to become a deputy registrar and I spent hundreds of hours registering people to vote. I registered nearly half of the population of our mill village as well as others in the area. I registered people who were illiterate and people who proudly stated they wanted to make sure the n-words didn't take over. On the Reagan II election day, I was in the voting booth when some of my new registrants came in, elderly husband and wife. The poll manager was explaining to them how it worked. He showed them a sample ballot and told them how to mark it. He explained that if they wanted to vote straight Republican or straight Democrat, all they had to do was mark that one little spot. BUT if they wanted to vote for Strom Thurmond but the rest Democrats, they would have to mark each separately. As I exited from the booth he was explaining to them that they needed to go to separate booths. The woman objected. She said, "If he's not with me, how am I going to know who to vote for?"

That election, our community had the largest voter turnout in history but after the moment of that woman's remark, I was no longer quite so idealistic.

It would disappoint me greatly to find out that after the years of hard work and suffering getting women the right to vote, there is even just one woman today who doesn't think for herself but rather casts her vote based on her husband's choice.

From what I understand, there are people in the country, world even who find getting through life every day is hard enough without thinking about who is in political office. Just because some of us cannot comprehend the mentality of such an individual, sometimes people attach their whole being to another and do and say whatever they are told, witness Jim Jones, the original "drink the Cool-Aid" man.

People will find what works best for them and for us to cast any judgement on it is wrong. Some people like to be cared for and others want to care for people. I guess it takes all kinds to make a world and there actually may be a husband out there who wouldnt dream of voting without consulting the love of his life, the center of his universe and partner, his wife. Is that wrong?