Evmori,

I said "Religion" that promotes harm, not people. Check the Crusades, christians attacked first. Does NOT mean thier religion says to. Means someone got greedy and thought they were better.

Islam as a faith is not bad nor evil.

Ignorance causes fear of others. Research the other religions and lose the fear. You will find that there is more in common than there is differences.

As this thread is beginning to point out, half the religions recognized with religious emblems would like to permanently do in the other half. This mental compartmentalization is part of the ongoing problems brought up by the DRP.

I believe in God...I believe God is an "inside job", meaning I know that a pressence I sense and feel emmanates from within myself...I can draw comfort and direction from a dogma practiced and celebrated by others of like values and shared within the identity collectively known under the name a faith professes to be known as...hence a "religion".

I was raised to be a member of the United Church of Christ, the UCC seems to be very liberal and inclusive of all. At this point in my life...I am not active within the church...this has not diminished my belief in a Supreme Being or entity, nor do I hold indifferance to those who are active members of any given faith.

I feel that I enjoy a good sense of inner direction that comes from the "God is an inside job" perspective. Do not take this to mean that I am above any others beliefs or see myself better or smarter by benefit of my beliefs.

For me, chuches and the varied faiths offer guidance and spiritual direction to those of an open mind and heart willing to trust outside theirself for answers they may not posess...Some people need religion more than others, some can find their own way, while being good people and being good citizens and the kind of people a community is made up of.

We should not compartmentalize faith and claim one is better than others...throughout history, religion all too often was at the center of many conflicts that had great ammounts of human suffering...this is not an endearing point to look back on, however we live in the year 2008...perhaps we can look beyond the differances our many varied faiths enmesh and strive to evolve beyond the "us versus them" mindset, faith and religion should be a comfort to those who choose to participate within the given dogma of any religion...

And one should also be free to follow inner direction...if one has it and uses it wisely.

We should not compartmentalize faith and claim one is better than others...

It sounds as if you're telling me - You can believe whatever you want; just don't claim it and/or promote it with conviction.

So I can believe in Jesus, but I shouldn't think about those "pesky little" verses like - "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me" or "Go and make disciples". How does your interpretation of faith allow one to embrace the truths declared in the Bible?

Or perhaps, youre suggesting that I should adopt your version of faith? No, that cant be it else youd be claiming your faith to be better than mine. I think youve created a Catch-22 in logic.

If you believe in the truths of your faith and refuse to promote them as such, then you either have serious doubts or you dont care about your fellow man enough to share the truth. Neither of those two possibilities is consistent with my faith.

Never met a Wiccan, Pagan or Baptist that I know of. Locally there are Catholics, Sikhs, Muslims, Salvation Army, Buddhists, Hari Krishna's, Anglicans, Uniting Church and a stack of fairies (serious). There are others too but I can't remember them at present.

They all (less the fairies maybe) promote the same virtues - so why get all twisted up about it all?

GernBlansten and Ozemu

My faith is not about virtues. Its about having a relationship with God. A relationship that is paramount for ones salvation. Many, who embrace this faith, feel it is better to be annoying than to be ignored. Of course, this assumes the end result is that the annoyed person is forced to consider his relationship with God. I applaud those who endure ridicule for preaching the truth. I rarely go that far not because Im considerate, but because I often lack the courage that should accompany my convictions.

Romans 10:14 & 15

14How, then, can they call on the one they have not believed in? And how can they believe in the one of whom they have not heard? And how can they hear without someone preaching to them? 15And how can they preach unless they are sent? As it is written, "How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news!"

Rooster et. al.:

The discussion is NOT about who is right, wrong, or what. Please start a different post if you wish to bash/prophosise respective religions.

My question was limited to the BSA and the "Corporations" view of Wicca/Paganism.

Rooster7; Whatever "Catch-22" you perceive, and credit me with inventing is not my exclusive domain...I've met and talked with many good people who think and live similar beliefs.

I in no way will be drawn into debating interpretations of the bible...especially in light of the fact that it was heavily edited by the "church" and its leaders to reflect the "beliefs" they thought suitable for consumption by the masses...many books were omitted and/or banned because they didnt measure up to what the "leaders" of the church felt was suitable for the people they "served".

Religion is a fine thing...when taken in moderation and small doses.

I am quite weary of the proselityzing that must be endured by many in public forums...and am especially tired of having bible verse trotted out and quoted as if doing so embellishes one with moral authority.

I am grateful to live in our great country because people here can beleive freely in their own interpretation of God...being preached at by anyone who doesnt share my views, but takes them to task while assuming a moral authority is annoying and marks them as a religous fanatic...I hope you draw comfort from your beliefs...but do not denigrate mine for NOT matching yours. Kindly mind your own business.

kraut-60

I in no way will be drawn into debating interpretations of the bible...especially in light of the fact that it was heavily edited by the "church" and its leaders to reflect the "beliefs" they thought suitable for consumption by the masses...many books were omitted and/or banned because they didnt measure up to what the "leaders" of the church felt was suitable for the people they "served".

Contrary to your initial statement, you seem eager to coax me into debating you. Why else attack the source of my beliefs the Bible.

Religion is a fine thing...when taken in moderation and small doses. I am quite weary of the proselityzing that must be endured by many in public forums...and am especially tired of having bible verse trotted out and quoted as if doing so embellishes one with moral authority.

Religion in small doses is a fine thing? Why dont you just say its okay to be a little black? Its just as bigoted. It appears to me that you have no problem with a faith so long as it shares your philosophy of all paths are equal and lead to the same place and/or if you can chose when to be exposed to those to such a faith. That is not religious tolerance. Its the opposite. Youre claiming to be open minded, yet you condemn anyone has the audacity to claim that they know truth about God and/or elects to tell others. And just to be clear claiming to know the truth, doesnt mean one is intolerant of others. That is, I seek no persecution for those who believe differently. I agree that all should be free to pursue their own course, but that doesnt negate my right tell others what I believe. And per the first amendment, that right is first and foremost for public forums (not that the Scouter forum is such a forum, but they have tolerated free discussion of all issues to date).

By the way, if/when I quote the Bible and you sense any moral authority be assured that I do not claim that authority to be my own (although I have no doubt about its authenticity).

I am grateful to live in our great country because people here can believe freely in their own interpretation of God...being preached at by anyone who doesnt share my views, but takes them to task while assuming a moral authority is annoying and marks them as a religious fanatic...I hope you draw comfort from your beliefs...but do not denigrate mine for NOT matching yours. Kindly mind your own business.

I never denigrated you or your beliefs. I simply noted that there was a disconnect in your logic.