See you next election cycle!!!!

Here's what I hear most of the McCain critics say that indicates how he's liberal:

- he opposed the Bush tax cuts

- he initiated McCain-Feingold (seen as a limitation on free speech)

- he was part of the gang of 14 that supported the idea of allowing a minority to block confirmation votes

- he supports "amnesty" for illegal immigrants

- he refuses to support an amendment to ban gay marriage

- he supports stem cell research

- he wants to be aggressive about taking on global warming

- he considered being the running mate for John Kerry

On these issues I think he is definitely more liberal than the conservative wing of the Republican party.

But he certainly seems more authentic that Mitt Romney.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Senator, I served with Jack Kennedy: I knew Jack Kennedy; Jack Kennedy was a friend of mine. Senator, you're no Jack Kennedy." (Lloyd Bentson, in a VP debate with Dan Quayle in 1988)

Every time I hear people call John McCain a "liberal" I am reminded of this quote. So with apologies to Bentson, I know liberals, and John McCain is no liberal! (Stop hijacking our label)

I had a much longer answer pointing out that many of the positions McCain's critics call evidence of liberal heresy are really better understood outside of the liberal/conservative prism. But it got too wordy. So for those who are so inclined, look up his views on why states, not the federal gov't, should decide gay marriage laws though (new federalism and devolution were Republican ideas going back to Nixon at least), and exactly what the "Gang of 14" opposed (nuclear option - would that be preferable to conservatives now that Republicans are in the congressional minority)?.

Good morning Lisa,

As a Republican watching your side of the aisle, I'm starting to see op-ed pieces and editorial cartoons slashing Hillary for surrendering feminism on the altar of getting elected.

I'm also listening to NPR and that group of experts are commenting at how the base is splitting for a race-based decision.

I love how the radio talk hosts are bashing McCain over his position on holding prisoners of war. I guess they forget what he went through as a PW of the North Vietnamese... My Dad's a WWII era PW of the Japanese, and he's not thrilled about what we're doing either.

John,

Yes you're right that most survey data is now showing that, among voters in the Dem primaries, blacks are voting overwhelmingly for Obama, white women overwhelmingly for Clinton, and Latinos tend to break for Clinton. The data also suggests that white men are voting in much higher numbers for Obama than Clinton.

But I do think, come general elections, whichever candidate the Democrats choose will be able to unify their party in ways that John McCain is currently struggling to accomplish. And yeah, if Hillary tears up one more time to "soften" her image I may be ill. (Can you imagine Margaret Thatcher taking that tactic?!)

Seems to me that John McCain's positions to work across party lines is a genuine attempt to move beyond the bi-partisan traditional bickering and fighting that keeps our nation even further divided. I would hope this nation can eventually move ahead and continue to be the Greatest Nation on Earth...but so long as we divide ourselves and bicker over whos right, well...anyone who has siblings care to remember how most disagreements usually turned out?

MOM...DAD? _______ is _________ me!! Sound familiar? Nothing but everybody wanting to be right..no matter what. I'm sick of the fighting our people do among themselves.

Maybe reaching out and swallowing our pride may be the start of a better America.

However, I cant claim to be capable to the ideal I've described here as I could not tolerate Hillary being elected President and Commander-in Chief...ABC anybody BUT Clinton!

That's the problem with todays conservative movement -- You are either with us, or you are a liberal. 100% compliance to the party line or you are a liberal. Step out of rank, get hit by a tank. You ain't conservative no more.

Good luck with that fellas.

I understand this is a totally biased opinion, then again by definition all opinions are biased.

When I think of the major candidates, I wonder about what they think about in bed just before they go to sleep. I can see Obama thinking how great a country it is that he can be this close to the presidency, and how great a role model he could be and what great things he could do as president. I can see McCain thinking how great it would be to be president, how his experience in war would come in handy and he would be able to lead this great country forward. I can see Huckabee thinking what this Country needs is a return to morals and I can't stop thinking that Hillary's last thought is she can't wait to be King.

My memory is not what it used to be, but didn't Geraldine Ferraro's tears as Mondale's running mate cause the talking heads of the day to say that because she was a woman she just wasn't strong enough for the VP job - see she's crying, that just proves it. Now we have Hillary "crying" and so many are saying how wonderful it is to see her softer side. Times change.

I like that about Hillary waiting to be King. I've not been able to put my finger on just why I dislike her so. She probably would make a good president, but something about her just rubs me the wrong way. I know, not the best way for me to choose who to vote for.

I thought for a time that I could give my support to Huckabee, but I was very much bothered by his statement about changing the Constitution to match God's standard.

I've been a voter since 1976. I can't remember ever feeling excited about casting my vote, but rather cast my vote as a vote against the other guy. Obama makes me feel inspired. Listening to him makes me feel that great things are possible once again in this Country. Probably not the best way to determine my candidate, but at least this year I was happy and eager to vote in my State's primary and sincerely hope I'll have the chance to vote for him again in November.

Nice Gern! Although I can't help but remember the good ole' days when Bill was up in the DC, with 89 cent gas and 99 cents for a 5 lb. bag of sugar. I have become vegetarian, but only because hot dogs ain't exactly meat and the good stuff is too high. It seems like everything has tripled except my wages, and we do pretty good. And my man Edwards is on hiatus, so I think I will abstain this year. I just can't get behind anyone. I think Hillary is the lesser of two evils because it is familiar territory. Obama, he scares me.

Yah, well...

It's also called "shrinking dollar value because of enormous trade deficits and national debt." :(

And perhaps "lack of any sort of reasonable energy policy leading to demand for oil from despots and villains."

B

Well the Federal Reserve is the ever printer of money . . .

The White House doesn't order that either.

And an energy policy from Washington? Thats called central planning. I'd rather not have that. Jefferson once wrote, "If we looked to Washington for what to reap and when to sow, we would soon be in want of bread." Where's the faith in the market my friends?

And local, I forgot the meeting the President has every morning to set sugar and gas prices.

Gee, I hate when you can't blame the President for everything.

He did cause Hurricane Katrina though . . .